Jan 1, 2010
AMD Athlon 64 AM2 X2 4600+
Asus M2N4-Sli
RAM: 2X2GB Mushkin, & 2X1GB OCZ = 6GB
OCZ Game Xstream 600w SLi PSU
Ati Sapphire HD 5770 1GB
Old Video Card: NVidia 8800GTS 640MB
HDD: SATA connected WD 320GB

My system takes a long time, between 15-20 secs, to POST versus the 2-3secs before.

I had a 8800 GTS 640MB that I believed to have failed. It crashed the computer twice, and then I got vertical lines on my screen before she wouldn't display anything at all ever again.

So I went and got a 5770 1GB and now I have got these long wait times for the POST.

I've uninstalled the NVidia drivers before I installed the ATI Catalyst drivers. In a cold restart and a hot restart the delay is the same. I thought maybe the CMOS needed to be cleared but that didn't solve the problem.

Since then I've removed everything. I started with the HDDs and the DVD Drives, still happened. The RAM went next, I took out 3 leaving one stick in then took all the RAM out after that didn't fix it. I got the proper POST beeps when I did this but the delay is still there. But after removing the video card so there is only the CPU in, the POST response was back to 2-3secs, with beep code of course.

How do I fix this delay or is it something build into new video cards? Or is it not the video card at all?

I should mention that once the computer has booted everything seems to run fine.

welkir

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Bad news though.

I downloaded and ran that driver sweeper. It found some remaining files and then "cleaned" them up. But alas the delay to POST is still there.
I have noticed something else as well now. The video cards fan seems to spin up then down about 15 times before it POSTs.

I did an upgrade for my son the other day from 9600gso to HD4890 and had a boot delay and when I went into add/remove programs I found the phycx driver from nvidia installed. I removed it since it did not go with the graphics card when I uninstalled it and since then no problems.

welkir

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry this has taken so long to reply back.
I thought you might be right so I unplug my current HDD, and plugged in a new 1TD I was planning to install a new fresh windows on anyways. I thought it would fix the problem but it didn't. Can drivers be on other things besides HDDs?

welkir

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I had to hook it up to a CRT, stupid LCD sleep mode, but the Asus splash screen doesn't show up till AFTER the long delay. And I can't get it to display the boot check list that I remember from my last system 3yrs back. But that would appear after the Mobo splash screen, right?
I have also just found an update for the BIOS to 1002, seeing has I was using the stock one, and flashed it. No change :(
Oh and thank you for continuing to help me!

welkir

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I found it, disable Full Screen LOGO. Anyways after the delay it does it's normal memory scan and it says everything is okay.
While searching google for similar problems I found this thread and it seems I'm not the only person with this problem. It seems I just have to wait for a new BIOS.
Thanks again rolli59 for your continued help. I'll give you a best answer for your troubles.
And anyone reading this with similar problems I recommend checking out the other thread.