Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade Dell Inspirion 1420 for games help, pls

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2010 7:16:44 PM

Hi all and Happy New Yr !

My grand-daughter just decided her new Laptop: (Dell Inspirion 1420, Windows Vista Home Prem, Intel Mobil Core 2 Duo T5850@2.16 GHz, 3GB ram, mobo Dell ODT 492 Intel GM965 chipset, with GPU graphics Intel 965 Express 448mb) should be able to run her new game, "Sims 2". It won't cause of no graphics card currently. I contacted Dell and all they had to say is "NO upgrades on laptops". I recognize the difficulty in upgrding a laptop, but after just footing the bill for the Inspirion I would like to upgrade insted of throwing out a new laptop for another new laptop. Can anyone help in suggeting or guiding me on the possibility of upgrading and maybe suggesting parts?. What I figured I'm competing against is about $999 for an Asus that has graphics. Pls help a in-the middle grandfather!!! :pt1cable: 
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2010 7:29:11 PM

As Dell said upgrading a laptop GPU is not an option. The only things that can be upgraded on 99.9 % of all laptops is hard drive and memory.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:33:06 PM

rolli59 said:
As Dell said upgrading a laptop GPU is not an option. The only things that can be upgraded on 99.9 % of all laptops is hard drive and memory.

Thanks rolli59

Just for my understanding, why can't I replace the gpu with one that will take a graphics card and then add a card?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2010 7:36:54 PM

The gpu is the graphics card on most laptops it is integrated to the motherboard with no connection for another one.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:39:11 PM

rolli59 said:
The gpu is the graphics card on most laptops it is integrated to the motherboard with no connection for another one.

Could I replace the motherboard then? I'm thinking would be cheaper than buying new laptop?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 7:40:27 PM

There is no standardized GPU size/connector on laptops.
You cannot buy a laptop GPU, it comes with the laptop.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 7:41:45 PM

Rickie Lee said:
Could I replace the motherboard then? I'm thinking would be cheaper than buying new laptop?

You cannot

The only place where you can get a new mobo is from Dell, as the mobo is a custom size & shape.
Dell does not sell the mobo's separately.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:44:07 PM

sabot00 said:
You cannot

The only place where you can get a new mobo is from Dell, as the mobo is a custom size & shape.
Dell does not sell the mobo's separately.

Ah so, now the light bulb comes on. Neat way to trap us, huh?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 7:47:03 PM

You get trapped with all laptops.

Retail companies such as HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba do not want to adopt standards, they want you to buy a new laptop.

They are the driving force of the laptop industry, as barebones kits of laptops exist, it is far harder/less worthy than building a desktop.
The industry cannot adopt standards as they won't.
m
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2010 7:48:25 PM

Typical Dell price on a replacement motherboard is around $1000.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 7:55:22 PM

Next time know what is going to be used for before you purchase. Then purchase what you need. You did not get trapped, you just failed to do your homework first.
m
l
January 1, 2010 10:42:10 PM

daship said:
Next time know what is going to be used for before you purchase. Then purchase what you need. You did not get trapped, you just failed to do your homework first.

Just to set the record straight, cause I plan on being part of this Forum for a long long time, you should NOT make Personal judgements against people without knowing what u are talking about, it could lead to WAR. I had nothing to do with the original purhase by my grand-daughter who lives 3 states away. I gave her money for her birthday. I didn't know she had the laptop until she asked for my help recently to figure out game info. I cheerfully accept constructive advice when it is warrented but NOT when it is Personal and based on nothing. :pfff: 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 10:45:09 PM

Rickie Lee said:
Just to set the record straight, cause I plan on being part of this Forum for a long long time, you should NOT make Personal judgements against people without knowing what u are talking about, it could lead to WAR. I had nothing to do with the original purhase by my grand-daughter who lives 3 states away. I gave her money for her birthday. I didn't know she had the laptop until she asked for my help recently to figure out game info. I cheerfully accept constructive advice when it is warrented but NOT when it is Personal and based on nothing. :pfff: 

I don't want to fan the flames but, don't take anything on the internet seriously. Brush it off & just don't look at the post.
Just a suggestion.
January 1, 2010 10:49:24 PM

sabot00 said:
I don't want to fan the flames but, don't take anything on the internet seriously. Brush it off & just don't look at the post.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks sabot00

u r very correct and i thank u for bringing me back from the edge. My grand-daughter just lost her father (my son) so I guess i am off kilter with her as the subject. Will NOT happen again! :hello: 
m
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2010 10:49:51 PM

There is millions of people that go into stores like Best Buy to look for a laptop. The staff there has only one interest! It is called make a sale they will fill novices with all kinds of bulls#┬Ąt about what they are buying just to make the sale. For example this is the latest and greatest from Intel in graphics.
That is the reason things like this happens.
m
l
!