Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best tubing and fans for the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 2, 2012 1:06:59 AM

Hey guys. I'm going to be buying the RS240 water cooler for my build. Now I heard the tubing and fans aren't the best in the world, so what types of fans and tubing should I get? I prefer the tubing to be clear because I want the liquid to be seen, which is another question. This is my first water cooled build so I would like to know what the best liquid cooler (water) would be ideal? It would be nice if it was under $20, and was blue. So in the end I'm asking for, good clear tubing, good fans (if they come with leds preferably blue, but the cheaper one I wouldn't mind), as well as blue liquid. Thanks everyone and if it could be at reasonable prices. Thanks!

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 1:50:31 AM

Best liquid = distilled water and some biocide. You can use dye, just avoid coolants. Even food coloring will work in a pinch.

If you really want blue, just get blue tubing. I've used Feser, Tygon and more recently Primochill LRT. Primochill is fairly cheap and just as good of quality of the others, including tight bends.
August 2, 2012 1:53:31 AM

Thanks Rubix! Any particular biocide? As well as just a pinch of blue food colouring, will the harm anything or other?
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 2:12:32 AM

No, but you might reconsider colored tubing vs. adding dye. Over time, clear tubing will cloud and not look as 'crystal clear' when brand new.

As for biocide, PTNuke is very common (Petra's Tech Shop sells it) but several sites have a few biocide equivalents. Most should work and you only need 3-4 drops, so a bottle lasts a long time. I actually picked up some at Walmart that was around $3 a bottle around the fish tank equipment to try it out. No issues and it's been well over 6 months since my last loop rebuild.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:13:33 AM

Sounds great! One more question before I finally know what I need to know for my water cooling, the RS240 comes with a Kill coil. Is it a good thing to have? Does it actually work?
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:16:49 AM

Best answer selected by intensityfims.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 2:21:34 AM

It's debatable since copper also acts as a natural biological inhibitor as well, although not as much ounce per ounce. But when you consider how much copper is in a loop vs. how much silver that small coil contains (supposedly .999+ pure) I have often questioned how effective it is as stopping growth from occurring when used on it's own. There's no harm in using it (I personally have one) but the jury is still very much out on it's actual effectiveness in a real world scenario.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:38:16 AM

Alright, now, on the FrozenCPU website, they have Dead-Water Biocidal drops for about $4. Will that work? As well as, do you have anything to prefer for distilled water?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 2:39:22 AM

That would work, yes. Distilled water is around $1 a gallon at most supermarkets and grocery stores.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:43:38 AM

Thanks a lot! Saved me some money! Which now can be put to other things!
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:57:59 AM

Okay, now I don't want to sound irratating... But, one final question. In a Haf 932 case, how much tubing do you think I need? I'm thinking around 4ft, or 5ft. What do you think?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:01:19 AM

It's a good idea to plan a little over than under. I usually order between 8-10 feet when I order. You'd be surprised how much you actually use.

Also, measure 10x, cut once.
m
l
!