Sign in with
Your question

$700-800 AMD/ATI Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 9:30:16 PM

Ok so, first of all, I have trouble asking stuff so forgive me if I don't make sense :na: 

It's my first time building a PC because I got fed up with all the bloat and stuff PC makers put on them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next month or two

BUDGET RANGE: $800 MAXIMUM

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games like oblivion, maybe mass effect, emulators, and stuff like that. O_o if anyone knows, does Halo 2 PC run on windows 7? because I might play that as well.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Harddrive, dvd burner, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD CPU, ATI GPU, others dont matter

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1360x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: 4 gigs of ram would be preferred :) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Case:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

The Processor:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

The Graphics Card:

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

The Ram:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK - Retail

The Power Supply:

SILVERSTONE ST50F 500W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

The Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

What I need help with is finding a motherboard, and whether these parts are good and would work well together :)  Also, should i get a heatsink for my processor if i DO choose to overclock?

EDIT: changed components

More about : 700 800 amd ati gaming

January 6, 2010 12:20:16 AM

I can't do an indepth analysis right now, but the stock cooler on AMD processors are fine for mild overclocks.
m
l
January 6, 2010 12:33:06 AM

It looks like a tight build. I personally prefer to use ASUS and MSI parts when possible. One of these brands and using a AMD chipset will make for a decent mainboard. I have to warn you about HIS as I have had bad experiences in the past with their tech support. Also I would recommend a radeon 5750 because at your low resolution it will have 'long legs' and support DX11. Corsair has a great power supply line and 500 to 600 watts should do fine for your build. Its hard to go wrong with ram as long as you use a major brand (don't buy "house" ram) with a lifetime warranty. AMD actually uses a nice heat sink with their processors (heat pipe into aluminum fins) that will allow for all but the more extreme of over clocks. Good luck with your new toy!
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2010 12:35:23 AM

On More elaborate Overclocks, you may want to look at getting a heatsink for your processor.
m
l
!