Sign in with
Your question

Aftermarket coolers for a pair of Crossfired 4890s?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 7:38:46 PM

hey all.

so im going to be ordering a second 4890 in the next couple of days, but im a little worried about the noise/heat output that two of these cards in crossfire could potentially produce.
ive been looking around for some aftermarket coolers that could help with thew problem, but im having trouble finding ones that are slimline enough that they can be used in a crossfire setup.

i was wondering if anyone has any experience in this area, that could offer some advice.

at the moment, im looking at the scythe musashi: http://www.oczone.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=40_704&p...

some reviews are saying it wont allow for crossfire, but this review (http://www.oczone.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=40_704&p... ) seems to think otherwise. from the picks, it does seem like they are only marginally bigger than the stock heatsink. but i dont know how they would fit onto my mobo (in sig).

one option is to only put fans onto the one heatsink, leaving the other to be cooled by internal airflow. it sounds risky, but if temps stay within safe limits id be okay with that.

if anyone could help me out, i would apreciate it. i dont want to spend 160 dollars on a pair of coolers i cant use.

thanks fellas. (and fellettes?)
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 7:52:38 PM

Are the 4890's giving you problems?
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 8:02:33 PM

did you read my post?

i havnt ordered the second yet. but one of them is loud and hot. two will be louder and hotter. id like to do this research now so that i can order ASAP if i do find them to be too noisy.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 8:03:29 PM

I think the money would be better spent on case fans.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 8:06:39 PM

*sigh*

i have lancool K62. there are no more case fans i could possibly install. what i am asking for is advice from someone with some knowledge on the matter. not some guy getting his post count up by adding un-needed replies, without even looking at my question, or current setup.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 8:27:20 PM

i only know of one possible aftermarket cooler that could work in crossfire,a while ago when i was considering 2x 4890's but changed my mind

the one i thought might be the best

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga...

it can be in front or in the back of the graphics card
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 9:03:00 PM

thanks obsidion. looking at the pics, it looks pretty big. i have a feeling it will take up too much room for crossfiring. ill check out some reviews and see what i find though.

cheers for the tip.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 9:10:52 PM

well, i may have found a bit of a solution.

this card: http://www.oczone.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=45...

only a few doallars extra than a refernce 4890, and from reviews it seems to be cooler and quieter. i could get this as my second card (it only takes up a standard double slot) and put a musashi on my current reference 4890.
it should fit, since ill only need the extra room for one aftermarket cooler. but should still get a fairly quiet/cool setup.

is that likely to work?
January 2, 2010 3:30:11 AM

Hello,

First I want to say I'm not trying to get a post count just offer some help. I currently have an i7 860 overclocked to 3.8 with 1.3000v. I am also running 2X4890's. When I overclocked them I also upped the fan speed to 50% and that helped a little. I have an Antec 900 with the front 120 blowing in the top and back fan are blowing out. I couldn't use the side one because I'm running a Coolermaster V8 with a 110CFM fan.

Everything was a little warmer than I wanted, so I purchased a holesaw at Lowes and mounted two 80mm fans on the outside of the case. That did the trick, it dropped the temp on the cards 12 degrees and dropped the case temp 10 degrees. I placed the fans right where the intakes on the cards were. Now everything is awesome. Hope that helps there is always more possibilities and sometimes we just have to think outside the box.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
January 2, 2010 3:43:35 AM

Hey welsh,

I would recommend you getting a Accelero Twin Turbo cooler on ur 4890. I got it on mines and the thing is amazing, i can't stress it enough. Stock cooler fan speed was at 45%, and the temps were around 55-58idle, and 70c+ during load w/a antec900 case with fans on.

With the A.T.T on, i idle at 40c, and load temps are 44-46c! Fan speed on it is at 80%, but it's super quiet, quieter than the stock cooler at 25% speed.

Only downside is, you can't mount this cooler on both ur 4890. This would only work on the outter 4890, but it helps out w/temp/noise tremendously on one card at least. check it out, gl

edit: i bought mines off amazon
January 2, 2010 3:49:54 AM

Screen resolution and power supply ?

I am pretty sure 2 4890 is overkill unless you play at some crazy res ...
I'd say sell your 4890 and buy a 5870 for almost the same price of the 4890 ... less heat, less power needed, pci 16x 2.0 still open for an other sucka xD

Now stop reading and DO IT !
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 3:57:06 AM

Two 4890s to a single 5870 would be a downgrade though...

And would he spend $$$ on two 5870s?
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 4:56:02 AM

@abswindows:

im in NZ, a single 5870 costs near 700 dollars. i can maybe sell my 4890 for 200 dollars. or i can buy a new 4890 for 300 dollars.

as you can see, its the most econimical way to get more performance. i do intend to eventually sell both and get a 5870, but i want an inbetween solution for now.

my PSU is in my sig, a corsair Hx750. should be plenty. and i game at 1920x1080.

im already decided on getting the 4890, its just the cooling im worried about.

@sofaking, thanks for the input. i already have plenty of case fans (k62, with a 140mm intake and 3 120mm exhasts i belive). i think heat is less likely to be an issue, im mainly concerned about th noise. here i nNZ its very hot, and my current 4890 needs to be put on 70 percent fanspeed to get decent temps. so i think adding a second will be too loud. what i want is something with similar cooling performance, but thats quieter than the stock fans.

@aznguy, id read many reviews about that cooler. i hear its one of the best. but i either want to leave both cards with stock cooler, or put an aftermarket on both.

ATM im leaning toward getting the MSI cyclone card, and putting a scythe musashi on my current 4890. that way i should have plenty of room, but still have both cards running cooler and quieter than before. they wont match, but they'll work.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 7:53:32 PM

hmm, so im still a little undecided.

im starting to think that putting a scythe on my current 4890 wouldn't be a great idea. since it would then be blowing hot air out onto the cyclone 4890. perhaps i should get the 4890 cyclone, which in the bottom slot would simply be dumping warmer air into the case, but then to just have my current referance design as is, and exahsting through the vent.

very undecided, and could stil use advice if anyone has expereince.

two aftermarket coolers? both reference coolers? or one of each?
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 8:25:15 PM

this is becoming kind of frustrating.

ive found a review on hardwarecanucks

( http://www.*****/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/24770-value-meets-performance-hd-4890-cards-gigabyte-msi-22.html )

it says that theres a very high chance that the cyclone could have a badly seated heatsink, which would make it hot and noisy. that would be bad. and would make the whole thing a waste of time.

ive found an xfx 4890 tough: http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail...

also a good price, and it has a non-reference cooler. but im having a very hard time finding a trustworthy review. the only stuff i can find is on forums. i like xfx, but if the stuff ive read about this GPU is true, its cooler isnt that good.

this is strating to get on my nerves. should i just get another reference card? i can just live with the noise, and hope it doesnt drive me crazy. or maybe put a scythe musashi on both?

or should i just try either the xfx or the MSI card?

/cry
January 2, 2010 11:00:32 PM

I would go for the one with Cyclone OPEN cooler and put it at the top PCIE slot if your current HD4890 is with reference CLOSED cooler, because it will prevent the air intake of your reference cooler being blocked.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 11:13:32 PM

you think?

i do like xfx, but i cant find any reviews of that exact model. and a forum i was on seemd to tihnk its cooler wasn't so great.

if i get the xfx, should i get a scythe musashi for my current card do you think? i should i keep it with the stock cooler?

lol, i just cant decide.

soz, leave all this in this thread. ive accidentally hijacked the other one :S
January 2, 2010 11:56:54 PM

welshmousepk said:
you think?

i do like xfx, but i cant find any reviews of that exact model. and a forum i was on seemd to tihnk its cooler wasn't so great.

if i get the xfx, should i get a scythe musashi for my current card do you think? i should i keep it with the stock cooler?

lol, i just cant decide.

soz, leave all this in this thread. ive accidentally hijacked the other one :S

It is actually better with reference CLOSE cooler for cases that has no mesh on side panel, because it prevents heat from being trapped in the case.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 12:20:15 AM

i have good airflow, so im not really worried about that. its the cards themselves i worry about.

ive found some reviews on that xfx card and they aren;t good. apparently the cooler is wirse than the reference one. so im not going with that.

its onther gonna be a reference design, or the MSI cyclone.

and i dont know weather to get those musashis for the reference designs. or to leave as is
January 3, 2010 12:25:21 AM

welshmousepk said:
i have good airflow, so im not really worried about that. its the cards themselves i worry about.

ive found some reviews on that xfx card and they aren;t good. apparently the cooler is wirse than the reference one. so im not going with that.

its onther gonna be a reference design, or the MSI cyclone.

and i dont know weather to get those musashis for the reference designs. or to leave as is

Hmmm...

Sell your HD4890 and get 2 HD5750.

How does it sound?
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 12:30:11 AM

nah, im pretty set on two 4890s.

i want the best performance i can get, its why im always upgrading. i cant afford a 5870 yet, so ill crossfire some 4890's until i can afford that.

i think im gonna get the cyclone card, run it alongside my current 4890 and if the noise is an issue ill grab a scythe musashi.

ill likely only have them in my system for a few months anyway.
January 3, 2010 12:35:50 AM

welshmousepk said:
nah, im pretty set on two 4890s.

i want the best performance i can get, its why im always upgrading. i cant afford a 5870 yet, so ill crossfire some 4890's until i can afford that.

i think im gonna get the cyclone card, run it alongside my current 4890 and if the noise is an issue ill grab a scythe musashi.

ill likely only have them in my system for a few months anyway.

rich dude.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 12:43:03 AM

lol, actually far from it. theres just not a while lot i spend my money on. usually my weeks wages go either on a new video game, or toward a new part for my rig.

a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2010 1:20:55 AM

well, if anyone is interested i just ordered the cyclone 4890 (which has a dual slot aftermarket cooler) as well as a scythe musashi for my reference card (2and a half slot cooler)

it should all fit, but i wont have any open PCI slots left on my mobo, and my cyclone will be blowing hot air right up against my PCI wireless card. hopefully it wont effect airflow too much.

i might takes soime pics and post temps and such if anyone is interested to know how it runs.
!