H100 high temps?

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Okay so I got my Corsair H100 a couple of days ago from best buy (I know, probably a bad idea, had to return the first one I bought because of massively bent pins. Only got it cause it was 10 bucks more and that would equal shipping from online)

Any ways, I am cooling an intel i5 2500k at STOCK clocks and these are my temps:

With HWMonitor

Idle:

Load:

I know for a fact that these temps are not supposed to get even close to 50 C on load with Push/Pull and stock clocks.

I installed it as it said on the instructions. I have an NZXT Phantom case by the way. So I first tried using the h100 as an exhaust but that was giving me terrible temps so I thought changing it to intake and changing all the other fans except for the back and front to exhausts would help, but here I am. I also reseated the heatsink and applied some AS5.

One weird thing I noticed was this

Does that have to do anything with the actual temps? Because that temp looks more like what I should be getting right now. The ambient temp is about 76 - 78 F by the way.

Any advice?

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
But then again I have seen hyper 212s get better temps than this... I don't think it's normal at all.

dragonsamus

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I just got an H100 recently too. I had the fans mounted as exhaust pushing up and out of my Phantom 410. The temps were 4.5 degrees C lower than my Hyper 212 Plus. I just switched it to intake. I used MX4. I'm going to do another test to see how much cooler this thing will keep my 2500K compared to the 212 Plus. I tested with Prime95 for an hour and used Core Temp to monitor temps. I'm overclocked to 4.5 Ghz with core voltage at 1.290.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yeah right now I overclocked to 4.5 GHz stable (ran prime95 for about 2 hours) with a core voltage of 1.375 which is the lowest I can go.

Here are my temps, so you can compare them to yours (keep in mind though you are running at a lower voltage)

Idle:

Load:

Like I said before, does that CPU sensor mean anything regarding to true cpu temps?

Look at Core temps and Package temps.

Your fans should be like this:

Radiator
Fans
Up_Arrow_Icon.png

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have no idea what you are trying to make by that figure. But I have it set up as push/pull. Which means I have air blowing in from the top of the case (where the rad is located) and it exhausts out of the 200mm and the 120mm fans in the side panel.

So it;s setup up like this

2 FANS vvv (pushing outside air in)

-------RAD----------

2 FANS vvv (pulling that air into the case)

If you get what I am saying. I already tried using the h100 as exhaust but the temps were worse. I would rather get good cpu temps and alright gpu temps (I have the 560 ti twin frozer ii so temps aren't a problem)

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I know that I have to exhaust upwards. Like I said, that is what I had before. I am using the top as intake now because I want cooler air going into the rad instead of hot air. I have a 200mm fan on the side panel as an exhaust. I know it's not the best way to do it, but it's the best for the cpu.

wolfram23 I think that the pump only has one speed. It's the fans that change.

That's another thing, I saw that the pump rpm is only 2100 RPM. Is that a normal speed?

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

The thing is that the hot air is been exhausted into the CPU area.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

We have winners. The Hxxx is not really 'water cooling' and will not give much better temps than an hyper 212 or a DH-14. You pretty much just wasted what like...$80? RMA it if you can and get the hyper 212.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

I'm sure you have heard of the burn in time of the H100 and how it slashes 5-10c when it has been past that point.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Well if I RMA, I will be going with a rasa kit. I can't stand the way air heatsinks look. But I am gonna give it sometime to "burn in" as consolegamer said. The thing is though, I've had a nh-d14 and it gave me better temps... Even a hyper 101 gave me decent temps. That little heatsink is like 15 bucks!

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

That is why they hyper 212 is the best/most popular. It may not look super cool awesome, but it does its job. My case has no window so I could really care less what the heat sink looks like. I had an extra 120mm blue led fan that I slapped on the other side of mine for a push/pull config and it doesn't look 'that' bad. If you are going to go rasa over the H100...I would keep the H100. Your gonna need 4 decent 120mm fans on it in a push/pull config to really see temps that your thinking of. Even then there is no guarentee that it will perform better than the Hyper212/DH-14.

Any cooler doesn't need a "burn in" time. Explain to me how that could possibly work, please.

Now, thermal grease? Yeah, some can have a "burn in", but it's not much. AS5 is supposedly one of the ones with a slightly higher "burn in" but regardless, it's not going to cut 10C off the temp. 5C would be a lot.

OP, you might get a little bit better performance if you buy a shroud and use fans in pull. Only problem is that adds another 25mm to the thickness.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

I heard of how people with the H100 says that after some time it slashes 5-10c of the temps and that it has a "burn in time"? I read this some time ago but I'm sure it has been deleted of the interwebz so I'll check for a few links.

What?
scratch-head01-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000414-large.gif