Thermaltake Frio OCK

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermaltake
  • New Build
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:26:43 AM

I am almost finished with my new build (first ever), but the fan covering on my Thermaltake Frio OCK will not go all the way down since it hits the top of my G.Skill Ripjaws. I took a picture, but I can't figure out how to post it here.

It goes far enough down that I think it will stay on when I actually install the MOBO in the case, but it doesn't "seat" all the way. Is this going to be an issue long term? Or is it no big deal?

Should I be looking for RAM that is "lower profile" -- that seems to be easier than looking for a new Heatsink.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

More about : thermaltake frio ock

a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:39:37 AM

if the fan is too low, then you need to look for a low profile ram
m
l

Best solution

a c 106 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:49:06 AM

My Ripjaws X causes the fan on my Scythe Mugen 2 to be pushed up just a bit higher than it would rest with no RAM installed. As long as the fan mounts securely you should be fine. It's not a problem to have the fan touching the RAM. It's easier if you install the RAM before the cooler.
Related resources
August 2, 2012 2:57:18 PM

Yeah thanks! I am pretty sure it's secure; I won't really know for sure until I mount the MOBO in the case, and the case arrived today. The only thing I noticed last night was a very slight rattling sound that I am thinking is due to the fact that the fans aren't "clicked into place". If that is something that persists or gets worse when it is in the case, then I will probably have to swap out the G.Skill's for a lower profile RAM.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:27:13 AM

Re-sell the cooler and get thermaltake water 2.0 Extreme or Pro to solve any problems and compatibilities issues...
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:11:09 AM

Best answer selected by Adaram.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:11:57 AM

I ended up swapping out the Frio OCK for a water cooling system which completely eliminated the fan issue. It runs great!
m
l
!