Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weird problem in games...

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 10:41:41 PM

I really dont know where to post this so I am posting it here.

I built my system it all runs fine but I've been having a strange problem in most games.

While I am playing the fps is good but when I look around, sometimes the screen just kind of freezes or pauses for a second or even less and the fps drops to like 0. Is this lag or is this something else? I mean it happens in games that I would not expect lag from.

Is this a problem with the drivers or the os? Is there something wrong in terms of hardware?

Please, help me out and if you need info, please ask, I really need advice/help on the matter.

Thank you for your time. :) 

More about : weird problem games

a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 10:46:20 PM

First thing to check is your video drivers. Try updating them and see if that improves things.

Next suspect is probably heat.
m
l
January 6, 2010 12:01:10 AM

Thank you very much, but do you mean cpu overheating or videocard overheating?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2010 1:13:26 AM

could be both
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 3:12:50 PM

As shovenose says, it could be either one, though typically they're interrelated and it's more a matter of case cooling not working as intended.

Step 1: Update video drivers, see if things improve. If not, move to step 2.
Step 2: Determine if there are any fans/vents not properly moving air or are clogged. If so, clean them out, see if the problem persists. If not, move to step 3.
Step 3: In the unlikely event you have a spare video card or cpu, replace and see if the problem persists. In the more likely case of not having parts, try to get some data on no-load and loaded heat inside the case. Or try adding a fan/cooling, or opening the case & blowing additional air in there and see if that resolves the problem.
Step 4: ??
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:18:06 PM

1st thing you need to do is post your system specs here.....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 3:25:00 PM

System specs really don't matter for basic troubleshooting like this.

The causes are likely (in order of probability, assuming a Windows box):
1) driver issues
2) case heat
3) graphics card
4) RAM
5) CPU
6) motherboard
7) something crazy not listed above
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:33:00 PM

maybe his psu cant keep up with the load......
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 3:43:44 PM

I agree that we NEED to know the entire system specs. Maybe he's just trying to run a game that's overpowering his system. Hard to know without knowing what hardware we're talking about.

It would also be nice to know what games this happens on.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:50:12 PM

yeah, so he needs to post his entire specs and i agree (the game as well) and also what settings he is using ingame....maybe he enabled the AA from windows control panel.....instead of application controlled..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 3:52:17 PM

I stand corrected, I was reading the OP as an existing system that had suddenly stopped working, not a recently built system that was having problems.
m
l
January 7, 2010 1:02:26 AM

LOL ftw....
ps clean out all heatsinks with compressed air...
m
l
January 14, 2010 3:25:54 AM

Thanks a lot for all of the answers and all of the help.

My system is pretty basic.

Q6600 stock clock (will get overclocked though)

2x gts 250s running in sli

4 gigs of g skill 6400 ram

Western Digital 500gig blue hard drive

Lite on blu ray/cd/dvd drive

All of that on an xfx 750i sli n motherboard

Inside of an antec 300 loaded with as many fans as possible, both for intake and outake

This doesn't happen with all games, that was an exaggeration, I tend to do that. But one game it does happen A LOT in is crysis warhead. I dont even know what the hell it is. I play the first one fairly well on high settings, minimal slowdown. But when I played warhead on high settings or gamer, which is what its called, I've experienced this problem. Whenever I turn it just freezes up a lot and pauses.

I know it's crysis and all but I think this computer should be able to handle it on high/gamer settings. Am I right?

P.S I'm very sorry for the late response.
m
l

Best solution

January 14, 2010 3:49:08 AM

well 2 250's in sli ois not really that good as far as video performance for crysis - SLI is more for higher resolutions than enabling faster FPS so the 250 is probably part of the problem (what resolution are you trying to play at ?) - also the 6600 is not the fastest CPU so is probably a contributing factor in the slowdowns - try turning down some of the settings and see if things get better.
Also you do not mention the PSU - are you sure it has enough power to run both of those 250's as the are not the most power efficient cards and 2 of them is quite a load

Also with 2 -250's and the heat they put out along with the heat from a stressed PSU the cooling inside the case needs to be very good also or it could well be a heat issue as well.
January 14, 2010 3:57:07 AM

Oh right sorry that must have slipped my mind.

I play on a 24 inch 1920x1200 and my psu is a corsair 750TX. I thought it would be enough, man, please tell me its enough?

Btw what if I overclocked the q6600 to lets say 3.0 ghz with a rifle cooler, would that give me a significant boost in performance?

Thanks for the quick response. ;) 
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:28:13 AM

The 750TX should be fine - but yeah at that resolution and the Gamer settings it is probably giving those 250's a workout and the slowdowns are probably just the video system trying to keep up - try running it at some lower settings - also you might want to run some temperature tracking while playing and see what kind of temps they are reaching as it might be they are throttling back due to heat buildup
m
l
!