Sign in with
Your question

New build testing question

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 11:13:38 PM

please help!!!

I just built an i7 920 with msi x58 pro in an cooler master 690 case. I ran all the programs in the sticky and after running prime 95 a few minutes the temp for my core went to 85 degree celceus. under no load it is at 38 degrees celceus. Is that normal or do i need to do somerthing? I am using the stock intel cooler with the stock paste. No plans to oc eeither.

\thanks

Scott

More about : build testing question

January 6, 2010 12:16:48 AM

Hi, maybe you need add anothers fans to your case. A good temperature is under 70C.
January 6, 2010 12:24:04 AM

Usually, If you aren't trying to Overclock your computer, the stock Cooler should be just fine. What is cooling on your case looking like?
Related resources
January 6, 2010 1:41:36 AM

Scottk517 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it is the link to my case it has one fan in front, 1 in back and one in from side.. my other temps seem fine, just the CPU Core temps seemed high. I guess i can try some arctic silver tomorrow...

-----

At full load the temperature is the same? NOT with prime 95, i mean if with games the temperature also is 85C. The artic silver is a good option, the fans of your case aren't too big.
January 6, 2010 1:51:55 AM

Sounds like an improper HS install.
January 6, 2010 2:50:25 AM

The temps at idle were under 40*c and I have not run it otherwise.... As for proper HS install not really sure what you mean. It is seated properly, maybe just the stock heat transfer paste stinks and some better paste will fix it. The 4 screws are all in correctly and it is snug. I do not understand what you could mean by improper install given that it looks right and is snug. I am sorry if this sounds like I am questioning that like I know it all. I don't... I "think" it is in right and it "looks" right to me. I have installed 3 HS previous to this one and theyall worked fine and they look and feel the same a this one.. How could I tell if it is impropely installed except for obvious things? Thanks in advance for the help

Scott
January 6, 2010 12:18:38 PM

Scottk517 said:
The temps at idle were under 40*c and I have not run it otherwise.... As for proper HS install not really sure what you mean. It is seated properly, maybe just the stock heat transfer paste stinks and some better paste will fix it. The 4 screws are all in correctly and it is snug. I do not understand what you could mean by improper install given that it looks right and is snug. I am sorry if this sounds like I am questioning that like I know it all. I don't... I "think" it is in right and it "looks" right to me. I have installed 3 HS previous to this one and theyall worked fine and they look and feel the same a this one.. How could I tell if it is impropely installed except for obvious things? Thanks in advance for the help

Scott

---

Quote:
Sounds like an improper HS install.

That's mean that the heatsink (HS) of your processor could not be installed correctly.
January 6, 2010 12:59:01 PM

Best way to check for proper pushpin installation is to look at the back of the motherboard. To do this, you need to install the CPU and HSF before you put the motherboard in the case.
January 6, 2010 1:48:21 PM

Thanks.... it appears to be installed correctly, i will be putting on new paste though
!