kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
hi all, i just RMA'd my old Crucial 6gb kit. im now looking for new RAM and considering buying an OCZ 6GB 1866Mhz kit. Just wondered if anyone has had any experiences with this and what you think.

Link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166643

any other suggestions are welcome, but unfortunately i may only buy from ebuyer :(

Also im am looking at the OCZ XTC RAM cooler, is it worth a buy? my old RAM use to get very hot when i OC'd it to 1600.

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Why do u RAM the Crucial?
2- Crucial is much better manufacturer that OCZ so IMO isn't a good change. If u had some problem with Crucial go with Corsair or G.Skill both are good manufacturers.

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
one of my Crucial modules failed, and i also had a few problems keeping the crucials at 1600. Ive seen a 6GB corsair kit for £120 but timings are 9-9-9-24.
Im not sure whether that is good or bad, but my old kit was 8-8-8-24 so am looking for same timings.

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
thanx, nice find. a bit out of my budget but the timings are good.

What do you think of this kit?
its a CL7 too but at 7-7-7-24 and slighty cheaper.

i think my final choice will be out of the corsair and the OCZ above.

do you think i would be able to OC to anything near CL7 if i was to buy the cheaper kit and RAM cooler.

Good times but still prefer Corsair for quality.

U don't need a RAM cooler even if u want OC the RAM. U can go with CL9 for OC just bear in mind that if u kill ur RAM that's not cover for the warranty.

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I agree corsair has the better quality, but ive read these OCZ's are good for overclocking and can reach CL6 plus im saving a few quid. So i think im gonna get the OCZ's and use the spare cash to get a fan for my CPU heatsink.

Thanks saint19, been a great help.