Extreme Battery-life Notebook suggestion

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2004 9:08:42 PM

Ok, I need an extremly long lasting battery life. I'm working outside
of home most of the time and I need to have a minimum an absolute
minimum of 6 hour Idle time. (if I don't run any Hardware intensive
application) 8 hours or even more would be better though. I figured
out the only way I could attain that is by using a Centrino Notebook
with a second battery. So Finaly I'm looking for a laptop centrino
with a Modular bay (removable HD) that I could replace with a second
battery. That way I could attain the Battery-life I need.

I've faced few laptop with these specs:
Acer Travel Mate 660 and 800
almost all IBM ThinkPad
Dell D600

I also want the cheapest Notebook possible without sacrificy quality
(I don't want it to break after 3 month even if its under the
guarantee)

Price must be Under 1500$US (2200CAD) before taxes and the second
battery.

So, I'm asking for your advice on what should be a good Laptop to buy
that correspond to my dead as local shop dealers are jerks and knows
nothing about laptops ;)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 6:26:09 AM

Define "idle time"?? I have a Dell 600M, which is similar to the D600 you
are considering. The battery is good for about 3 hours continuous use, but
if I set my power settings to go to standby after 5 minutes of inactivity, I
typically make it through an 8-hour business day on the battery. I've also
trained myself to manually set it to standby when I'm on the phone, at
lunch, stretching my legs, etc. Keeping the WiFi turned off also makes a
difference in battery life. You can chew up a lot of battery life by idly
playing a game while you're on the phone, or checking your email every 5
minutes. I rarely use the modular 2nd battery, but would expect using that
should get you another 2-3 hours continuous use. To do better than a
Pentium M, you'll probably have to step down to a slower processor. The
other alternative is to find a place to re-charge during the day. These new
machines recharge pretty fast, so you can get a pretty good charge during
lunch. Also, you can get an EM-Power adaptor to charge off your car
cigarette lighter.

"John Smith" <metaphis2k2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I need an extremly long lasting battery life. I'm working outside
> of home most of the time and I need to have a minimum an absolute
> minimum of 6 hour Idle time. (if I don't run any Hardware intensive
> application) 8 hours or even more would be better though. I figured
> out the only way I could attain that is by using a Centrino Notebook
> with a second battery. So Finaly I'm looking for a laptop centrino
> with a Modular bay (removable HD) that I could replace with a second
> battery. That way I could attain the Battery-life I need.
>
> I've faced few laptop with these specs:
> Acer Travel Mate 660 and 800
> almost all IBM ThinkPad
> Dell D600
>
> I also want the cheapest Notebook possible without sacrificy quality
> (I don't want it to break after 3 month even if its under the
> guarantee)
>
> Price must be Under 1500$US (2200CAD) before taxes and the second
> battery.
>
> So, I'm asking for your advice on what should be a good Laptop to buy
> that correspond to my dead as local shop dealers are jerks and knows
> nothing about laptops ;)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 8:43:44 AM

By "idle time" I was saying the screen open but no activity.
(something like excel Displayed but no operation executed) Though its
a good idea to get the habit to put it on Standby as soon as possible.
Thx for your input, it gives me a good idea of what to expect of those
kind of computers

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:<5vkLc.8692$mL5.7890@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Define "idle time"?? I have a Dell 600M, which is similar to the D600 you
> are considering. The battery is good for about 3 hours continuous use, but
> if I set my power settings to go to standby after 5 minutes of inactivity, I
> typically make it through an 8-hour business day on the battery. I've also
> trained myself to manually set it to standby when I'm on the phone, at
> lunch, stretching my legs, etc. Keeping the WiFi turned off also makes a
> difference in battery life. You can chew up a lot of battery life by idly
> playing a game while you're on the phone, or checking your email every 5
> minutes. I rarely use the modular 2nd battery, but would expect using that
> should get you another 2-3 hours continuous use. To do better than a
> Pentium M, you'll probably have to step down to a slower processor. The
> other alternative is to find a place to re-charge during the day. These new
> machines recharge pretty fast, so you can get a pretty good charge during
> lunch. Also, you can get an EM-Power adaptor to charge off your car
> cigarette lighter.

a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 2:11:37 PM

>So, I'm asking for your advice on what should be a good Laptop to buy
>that correspond to my dead as local shop dealers are jerks and knows
>nothing about laptops ;)

Get one with an above average battery life rating at PC Mag or CNET.
Then add this thin external battery that the notebook sits on:
http://tinyurl.com/6f3mz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 5:46:53 PM

Look to IBM.
Richard
"John Smith" <metaphis2k2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I need an extremly long lasting battery life. I'm working outside
> of home most of the time and I need to have a minimum an absolute
> minimum of 6 hour Idle time. (if I don't run any Hardware intensive
> application) 8 hours or even more would be better though. I figured
> out the only way I could attain that is by using a Centrino Notebook
> with a second battery. So Finaly I'm looking for a laptop centrino
> with a Modular bay (removable HD) that I could replace with a second
> battery. That way I could attain the Battery-life I need.
>
> I've faced few laptop with these specs:
> Acer Travel Mate 660 and 800
> almost all IBM ThinkPad
> Dell D600
>
> I also want the cheapest Notebook possible without sacrificy quality
> (I don't want it to break after 3 month even if its under the
> guarantee)
>
> Price must be Under 1500$US (2200CAD) before taxes and the second
> battery.
>
> So, I'm asking for your advice on what should be a good Laptop to buy
> that correspond to my dead as local shop dealers are jerks and knows
> nothing about laptops ;)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 5:46:54 PM

Well, I have the T40 and I'm afraid its battery life is not THAT good
(6+ hrs). The "problem" is it's quite thin... the expansion bay is so
thin that the bay battery (which I do have) doesn't add that much. I
can get about an honest 4.5 hours or so. But I only need super
longevity on occasion, so I get it with an extra battery pack.

The D600 is a little thicker, the expansion bay is quite a bit thicker
than the T40, so I would expect it to get super battery life with an
expansion battery though I haven't asked co-workers who have them.

marlin wrote:
> Look to IBM.
> Richard
> "John Smith" <metaphis2k2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ok, I need an extremly long lasting battery life. I'm working outside
>>of home most of the time and I need to have a minimum an absolute
>>minimum of 6 hour Idle time. (if I don't run any Hardware intensive
>>application) 8 hours or even more would be better though. I figured
>>out the only way I could attain that is by using a Centrino Notebook
>>with a second battery. So Finaly I'm looking for a laptop centrino
>>with a Modular bay (removable HD) that I could replace with a second
>>battery. That way I could attain the Battery-life I need.
>>
>>I've faced few laptop with these specs:
>>Acer Travel Mate 660 and 800
>>almost all IBM ThinkPad
>>Dell D600
>>
>>I also want the cheapest Notebook possible without sacrificy quality
>>(I don't want it to break after 3 month even if its under the
>>guarantee)
>>
>>Price must be Under 1500$US (2200CAD) before taxes and the second
>>battery.
>>
>>So, I'm asking for your advice on what should be a good Laptop to buy
>>that correspond to my dead as local shop dealers are jerks and knows
>>nothing about laptops ;)

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2004 9:52:33 AM

Ok, Thx for your input, maybe I,ll look in the Acer model with an 8
Cell battery pack. That way I could get a better Battery life. Or
maybe I'll try the 600m (I've found that its about the same except
that the D600 is more expensive).

Seems like day long disconnected Laptop are not something Currently
easily avalaible.

timeOday <timeOday-UNSPAM@theknack.net> wrote in message news:<-4ednbvg7JpbIWPdRVn-vg@comcast.com>...
> Well, I have the T40 and I'm afraid its battery life is not THAT good
> (6+ hrs). The "problem" is it's quite thin... the expansion bay is so
> thin that the bay battery (which I do have) doesn't add that much. I
> can get about an honest 4.5 hours or so. But I only need super
> longevity on occasion, so I get it with an extra battery pack.
>
> The D600 is a little thicker, the expansion bay is quite a bit thicker
> than the T40, so I would expect it to get super battery life with an
> expansion battery though I haven't asked co-workers who have them.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2004 6:42:24 PM

metaphis2k2@hotmail.com (John Smith) wrote in message news:<71270ba9.0407201608.2bf7a9cb@posting.google.com>...
> Ok, I need an extremly long lasting battery life. I'm working outside
> of home most of the time and I need to have a minimum an absolute
> minimum of 6 hour Idle time. (if I don't run any Hardware intensive
> application) 8 hours or even more would be better though. I figured
> out the only way I could attain that is by using a Centrino Notebook
> with a second battery. So Finaly I'm looking for a laptop centrino
> with a Modular bay (removable HD) that I could replace with a second
> battery. That way I could attain the Battery-life I need.
>
> I've faced few laptop with these specs:
> Acer Travel Mate 660 and 800
> almost all IBM ThinkPad
> Dell D600
>
> I also want the cheapest Notebook possible without sacrificy quality
> (I don't want it to break after 3 month even if its under the
> guarantee)
>
> Price must be Under 1500$US (2200CAD) before taxes and the second
> battery.
>
> So, I'm asking for your advice on what should be a good Laptop to buy
> that correspond to my dead as local shop dealers are jerks and knows
> nothing about laptops ;)

Someone else posted something about mini-laptops, and I agree. I used
a own a Sony U101 with an extended battery. It had a Celeron 600A (ie
Banias Core) and 7inch screen. It also gave me 5 CONTIUOUS hours of
use with Wi-fi on and the screen on the brightest setting. Of course,
typing was kind of a chore which is why I got rid of it. If you can
stand the the tiny keyboard or don't lugging an external, this little
guy should meet your battery life needs. Kind of expensive, though!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2004 11:58:59 AM

Yea its quite pricy and it doesn't correcpond to my need, If I could
have good battery life with a 17" widescreen laptop that would be
excelent. But I think going for a 14" instead of 15" would help me
have a better battery life. Other thing I noticed is shared memory
graphic card offer poor performances but offer a very big improvment
on batterylife. Though I may be wrong on this.

> Someone else posted something about mini-laptops, and I agree. I used
> a own a Sony U101 with an extended battery. It had a Celeron 600A (ie
> Banias Core) and 7inch screen. It also gave me 5 CONTIUOUS hours of
> use with Wi-fi on and the screen on the brightest setting. Of course,
> typing was kind of a chore which is why I got rid of it. If you can
> stand the the tiny keyboard or don't lugging an external, this little
> guy should meet your battery life needs. Kind of expensive, though!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2004 12:55:47 PM

metaphis2k2@hotmail.com (John Smith) wrote in message news:<71270ba9.0407201608.2bf7a9cb@posting.google.com>...
> Ok, I need an extremly long lasting battery life. I'm working outside
> of home most of the time and I need to have a minimum an absolute
> minimum of 6 hour Idle time. (if I don't run any Hardware intensive
> application) 8 hours or even more would be better though. I figured
> out the only way I could attain that is by using a Centrino Notebook
> with a second battery. So Finaly I'm looking for a laptop centrino
> with a Modular bay (removable HD) that I could replace with a second
> battery. That way I could attain the Battery-life I need.
>
> I've faced few laptop with these specs:
> Acer Travel Mate 660 and 800
> almost all IBM ThinkPad
> Dell D600
>
> I also want the cheapest Notebook possible without sacrificy quality
> (I don't want it to break after 3 month even if its under the
> guarantee)

I've had good experiences with IBM TP 600x.
They are slower but cheap.
I;ve had is stay asleep for 3 days.

Usefull battery life of around 4 hours with netowrk access, screen
brightness at highest but all other power saving features enabled.

THX

!