SSD boots; disabling drives; protecting data

Hello,
I would like to use a single Win7 box (probably yet to be built) for security technology and other work. I am thinking to use SSD boot drive and SATA data drive for main work. Other work, however, might open me to more exposure to malware than I would like. I understand that a BIOS these days can generally disable disks. In that case, I am considering duplicating both drives and enabling the alternate set (instead of main set) when doing risky work. O/S on both sets would be cloned with same SID. I would hope to be able to use the single licensed O/S. Is this possible/practical/insane? Or, other ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about boots disabling drives protecting data
  1. System seems to have posted me twice.
    Sorry.
    I see no way to delete one of them....
  2. You could use the "BIOS profiles" (Under Tools Tab in BIOS on Asus enthusiast boards) feature of the BIOS to switch between enabled sets of boot / hard drives.
  3. Thanks - So this sounds practical, I gather. What about the O/S? I do not know whether (potentially) different embedded serial numbers in even very similar disk sets will cause the O/S to balk? If I need separate O/Ses I might as well waste the space on another PC, though not my preference.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Storage