Sign in with
Your question

I'm confused (New Graphics Card/New PSU)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2010 11:54:53 PM

Hey guys,
I just joined to see if you guys could help me out. I heard that you guys are the best of the best when it comes to troubleshooting computers.
I recently bought a PNY XLR8 Performance Edition 9800GT Graphics Card and a Off-Brand 630W PSU (Click me).
I put them both in my Gateway DX4710-05 (Specs[Note: It has W7 x64 on it]) at the same time and plugged her in. Well, that is where the problems started. The first couple of screens were displayed; the first one being one that listed my GFX Card. The second being the Gateway logo, etc. I finally got to a screen that said Windows could not start normally blah blah blah and it asked if I wanted to start Windows Normally or Run some kind of diagnostic (forgive me, I forget exactly what everything said). Starting Windows normally does not work and neither does Safe Mode. Running the diagnostic gives me a blue screen telling me this: "*** STOP 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8000C08E6F2, 0xFFFFF880027CA978, 0xFFFFF880027CA1D0)." I hope that helps because that took a ton of time to type out looking off of a pic from a camera phone.
Anyways, I went into my BIOS and tried to set my Primary Display to PCI but couldn't fint the option anywhere. I went into my PC Health just because I could and everything seemed normal (Everything was within 10% of +3.3, +5 and +12; system temp. was in the high 90s and the CPU temp. was in the high 70s).
So after all that, I gave up and did some internal troubleshooting. I didn't see anything wrong so I decided to take the Graphics Card out. I did this and booted the computer back up. It gave me the same error at first but when I did the diagnostic again it took me to a more Windows style troubleshooter. It worker for awhile and asked if I wanted to restore and I said no thanks. So it went on and finished. I tried booting Windows and it worked.
So here I am typing this. I feel that it is worth mentioning that the Off-Brand PSU has a weird smell to it. It is not odorless like the one I took out of it. It doesn't really smell like anything is burning though. I would have to say that it is getting weaker, not stronger. Maybe just something in there that needs to wear off?
So my question is, what should I do to get the Graphics Card working in this machine? Maybe install the drivers first and then putting in the card or something else? Thanks.
-Nate
a c 179 U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 11:57:50 PM

Are your temps in F or C? Generally programs read out in both, if they are in C then you need to reseat your heatsinks because your CPU shouldnt be getting that hot.
January 2, 2010 12:05:55 AM

No worries. Those are in Degrees Fahrenheit. That would make the system temp. roughly 37*C and the CPU temp. 26*C. The CPU fan is spinning at like 1200rpm I think so it's staying cool enough. Darn, I thought I included everything. Any other ideas?
Related resources
a c 1317 U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:07:26 AM

It looks to be a windows stop error because of bad drivers. My suggestion is that you insert your windows disk like you are going to install it and when windows finds a previous win install select repairing that. It is hard to tell it might be a faulty windows VGA driver.
January 2, 2010 12:16:04 AM

Will that work with my W7 upgrade disc? That is the only on-disc OS I have. Thanks. Would installing the GFX Card drivers first be a chance at fixing it?

Also, I just checked in with speedfan and this is what it tells me...
Temp1: 19C
Temp2: 36C
Temp3: 23C
Core 0: 17C
Core 1: 17C
Core 2: 14C
Core 3: 21C

So the system looks like it keeping cool.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:17:04 AM

And you should get a better power supply. The one you have, among other things, is an obsolete design dressed up with modern cables.
January 2, 2010 12:20:37 AM

Well, I was on a budget so I figured if it works, hooray. If not, then I'll drop money for a name brand.
a c 1317 U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:24:06 AM

The most common cause for that stop error is windows updates so it points to a corrupt windows installation. I would try it with the upgrade disk you can always abort if you are not happy where it is going. The normal process of installing a GPU is to uninstall the old one, shut down and replace with the new one, boot up using windows default VGA driver and then install the drivers for the new GPU.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:24:06 AM

What's your ambient?
Your room ambient would need to be around 10 C to get that.
January 2, 2010 12:29:10 AM

It's cold in here but not 10 Degrees. That's 50F. My computer stays pretty cool. I'm pretty good with wire management and my rear exhaust fan is spinning at 1480rpm and my CPU fan is spinning at 1293rpm right now so things are keeping cool pretty easy.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:30:43 AM

You can't be below ambient with air cooling...
January 2, 2010 12:38:40 AM

Take it for what it is. Temps are up just a bit because it's been running for awhile now but it's legit. And do you think that my processor is just in the board? It has some giant fan on it (heat sync I think it's called) and it has a cone over it going straight to the outside of the case. That is the fan spinning at 1300rpm.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:40:29 AM

Try GPU-Z & HWMonitor, what is your room temperature?
January 2, 2010 12:48:04 AM

Wait, you know were not talking about my graphics card temp. right? I don't have it in there which is my problem. Just curious because I didn't know GPU-Z read CPU temps. I guess I could install it for you just to make you happy. lol I'd say it is about 24C in here but I brought in a thermometer so give it a minute to adjust. And do you actually have any info that will help me? We can keep this going but I'm looking to solve my problem too. I'm just wondering if you are getting at something.

EDIT: Looks to be about 21C in here. The computer is sitting very openly on a desk.
January 2, 2010 2:41:25 AM

Anybody have something useful to say?
January 2, 2010 3:01:26 AM

Ok, this is going nowhere solving my problem-wise. I will dl that program and post a pic of my temps. Then we can just let that go.

I basically want these questions answered:
Will installing the drivers first help anything?
If I don't install the drivers first and do everything like I did at first, will using a UPGRADE W7 disc work? If so, how do I use it to solve my problem.

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 3:05:19 AM

Just curious about an anomaly.
Yes, try installing drivers.
January 2, 2010 3:08:07 AM

There you go. You were right. The other program was giving false readings. Now can we move forward instead of sideways?
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 3:11:15 AM

Well, since you could smell the PSU, try taking it out & opening it up.
January 2, 2010 3:13:06 AM

And what would I be looking for? And since the smell is getting weaker not stronger should I ignore that for now? I think it might just be something from the factory that is making it smell weird. I'm not saying you are wrong at all. I will take your advice if anything comes up.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 3:15:17 AM

Burns, black marks, scorch marks, etc.
January 2, 2010 3:16:00 AM

I edited my last post. Any thoughts on what I said?
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 3:18:09 AM

Well, try to locate the source of the smell I guess.

So:
You bought a PSU & 9800GT, you plugged them in and Windows won't boot, you take them out and it will.

Try just putting the PSU in, without the 9800GT.
January 2, 2010 3:22:33 AM

That's what I did. That how it has been since that first post. I put them both in, had problems, and took the card out ONLY. I didn't feel like taking the PSU out. So that is why I don't really want to worry about the PSU because it has been working for like 2 hours now. It's supplying the right voltages too. I just need to figure out if there is something wrong with my card or if there is something I can do about it. I'm going to try installing the drivers tomorrow but I kind of want to know why that problem occurred so that if installing the drivers first doesn't work, I can make sure that I've done everything possible.

EDIT: Is it possible that the PSU is supplying the right voltage but not enough wattage to power the card? I a noob**** when it comes to this stuff so sorry if that is a dumb question.
January 2, 2010 3:41:20 AM

Well, get this. I decided that I'd just go ahead and try to install the drivers tonight but the disc wouldn't let me because it couldn't detect the card. Now what?

EDIT: Well, I've been doing some reading and I've read about jumpers and dip switches. If I move one of these to the correct position to disable the onboard display (if my mobo has them) will that change anything?
January 2, 2010 4:24:32 AM

Arg. I'm such a freaking idiot. I was looking at the requirements for my card and I don't think my PSU had enough amperage on the 12v rail. My card requires at least 26A and I think that mine is lower than that. If that's the case, I didn't damage my card did I? And what would be a good PSU to buy for my system. I'll look at anything. I'm not really looking to upgrade my computer so w/e you chose doesn't have to have upgrades in mind. Is like a 550W good with the right amperage? My Graphics card says a minimum of 400W so that allows a bit of space.

Is this good?
a c 1317 U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:28:06 PM

mutecritic said:
Arg. I'm such a freaking idiot. I was looking at the requirements for my card and I don't think my PSU had enough amperage on the 12v rail. My card requires at least 26A and I think that mine is lower than that. If that's the case, I didn't damage my card did I? And what would be a good PSU to buy for my system. I'll look at anything. I'm not really looking to upgrade my computer so w/e you chose doesn't have to have upgrades in mind. Is like a 550W good with the right amperage? My Graphics card says a minimum of 400W so that allows a bit of space.

Is this good?

Your PSU has two +12 volt rails at 19 and 23 amps respectively. That is more than enough to run your card. The 26 amps requirement is based on total amps over the +12volts. The smell you are getting is evaporation of some coating used inside your supply it will go away.
Reading through your thread again it appears that you have fixed the windows error with all your trouble shooting in the beginning. I would go ahead and try to install the card again.
January 2, 2010 2:15:02 PM

Yea. I posted that at 1:30AM. I just realized that. I think I'm going to give it another go.
January 2, 2010 4:07:30 PM

I don't know why but I dropped the card in again and everything worked. I'm happy. That whole thing was kind of weird. My card is running at 46C. That sound about right.

EDIT: And the PSU rails are on 17A and 18A. False advertising... Still plenty though.
EDIT 2: I just really want to post this thing: :bounce: 
a c 1317 U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 4:26:10 PM

Great it apparently was a windows driver error that you fixed with all your troubleshooting. It is always nice to here that problems are solved.
Enjoy!
!