Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 on GA-X58A-UD3R

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2010 6:23:35 PM

Hi all!

I'm trying to run RAID 0 on my computer with 2 identical 6Gb/s WD HDDs. This is my first time attempting RAID so please forgive my utter stupidity. There appear to be three possible driver sets (JMicron JMB362, Intel ICH10R, and Marvell 9128) and 3 possible control modes (XHD, IDE, and AHCI [maybe]). Which is optimal? It would also be helpful for my learning experience if I could understand why, but if you're too busy to be able to explain it to me its not necessary.

Also what the heck is RAID 10?

More about : raid x58a ud3r

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 6:42:27 PM

You need the driver that matches the ports to which you have your drives plugged in. For best performance (yes, I know they're advertised as SATA3!), you want them on the ICH. We'll need details for more of your setup - any other drives, plugged in where, board model number, whether you have a front-panel eSATA connector, etc... Best place to start is by reading the RAID & 'FakeRAID': Speed vs Data Security section of the 'sticky'...
m
l
a c 265 V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 6:51:52 PM

nghoff said:
Hi all!

I'm trying to run RAID 0 on my computer with 2 identical 6Gb/s WD HDDs. This is my first time attempting RAID so please forgive my utter stupidity. There appear to be three possible driver sets (JMicron JMB362, Intel ICH10R, and Marvell 9128) and 3 possible control modes (XHD, IDE, and AHCI [maybe]). Which is optimal? It would also be helpful for my learning experience if I could understand why, but if you're too busy to be able to explain it to me its not necessary.

Also what the heck is RAID 10?

Why do you want to run raid-0?
There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.

There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 6:55:07 PM

@bilbat - speed aside the HW controller on the OP is SATA 3 and therefore should be installed on GSATA3_6 + GSATA3_7. Refer to 5-1-3 Marvel.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 7:00:09 PM

@geofelt - The transfer rates "real world" + "synthetic" will both suffer.

Running SATA 2 HDD/SSD on GSATA3_6 + GSATA3_7 <=> SATA 3 HDD/SSD on SATA2_0 - SATA2_5 is not a "good idea" in either case.
m
l
July 31, 2010 12:53:56 AM

Sadly shortly after posting this I found out that the specific type of hard drive I have (WD Caviar Black) was nerfed by WD so that it will not run RAID...so I'm returning the one i just bought, but i am still stuck with the other as i am well past return time. Anyways, thank you all for the information. I will keep this in mind when I decide to think about RAID again. SSDs next time perhaps *cackles*..err...yeah thanks :) 

Nick
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 1:14:29 AM

Need WD RE3's or 4's for RAID - an RE3 is about a fifty dollar differential from a Caviar Black...
m
l
July 31, 2010 1:47:36 AM

Well since I need two of them its more like 200 (minus net return from the one HDD). I've put enough money into my computer for a while lol.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 4:52:32 PM

Go with SSD + HDD. I know many (most) WD lack TLER but "can" work fine w/RAID on the MOBO's RAID controllers.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 6:33:44 PM

Ah yes! "Good today, junk tomorrow and worthless next week in the never ending circle of the pc hardware bottomless money pit of losing value!"
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 1, 2010 7:28:13 PM

Growing old while watching the grass grow. Its all about access time; in the SSD fragmentation doesn't have ANY meaning and access time is off the charts (even el cheapos).
WD compared to WD:
WD S25 SAS (300 GB ; WD3000BKFG ; $600) ~ Read 3.6 ms ; Write 4.2 ms ; Track to Track 0.7 ms
WD VelociRaptor SATA3 (600GB ; WD6000HLHX ; $280); ~ Read 3.6 ms ; Write 4.2 ms ; Track to Track 0.7 ms
Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA 3 (256 GB ; CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 ; $550) ~ Read 0.1 ms ; Write 0.1 ms ; Track to Track N/A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyz1xDe3xO8
m
l
December 18, 2010 1:35:07 AM

I am curious and confused. I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and two Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB drives. I setup a RAID 1 using the Marvell 9128 controller, then had to RMA the motherboard (different story) and when I got a new motherboard the RAID array worked but for a few hours and died. I then rebuilt the array, reinstalled the OS and software etc and have been using teh machine for a week without problems (doesnt mean I wont have problems).

Searching the web many people including WD say these drives do not have TLER and are not meant for RAID. BUT then I find this PDF at the WD site: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287... which states:

Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID-0 /
RAID-1).
- Business Critical RAID Environments – WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or
expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD’s
Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like
enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing.

So, the question is, are these drives OK for use on the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R using the Marvell 9128 or ICH10R controllers. I am not talking about installing a RAID card. Just plain simple motherboard based RAID 0 or 1 capability.

Thanks.
m
l
!