Sign in with
Your question

Getting more than 60 refresh rate with a tv as a monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2010 12:32:52 AM

I recently bought an Insignia 32" 1080p 120hz lcdhdtv.

The issue im having is when connecting it to my pc for use as a monitor i can't get more than 60 refresh rate.

It being 120hz, shouldn't i be able to get atleast 100 refresh rate on the monitor if my graphics card supports it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

More about : refresh rate monitor

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 2, 2010 12:35:05 AM

HDMI has limits, you can't drive 120Hz on certain resolutions, hence why nVidia's 3D Glasses only worked with monitors when they came out, no 120Hz TV's supported the Dual-Link DVI required for 120Hz.
January 2, 2010 12:42:04 AM

Yeah, i knew the limits with hdmi, so im using vga to dvi
Related resources
January 2, 2010 5:17:05 AM

I should of been more specific with what i am working with.
Insignia 32" 1080p 120hz lcd hdtv nvidia gforce 9600gt graphics card (has always supported 100fps for me, with any other monitor)
Windows xp professional, 4 gig ram.

I am not sure if all this is needed, but I'm trying to find either a solution, or an answer that would lead me to take back this tv to just get a 32" monitor to get the 100fps i want in games. Also, if no one has any ideas or more input on this subject about getting a higher refresh rate leading to more fps in my games, what monitor would you recommend, id like to keep the size 32", price is not a problem atm, just looking for something i can enjoy, watch movies on, play games and have for atleast a couple years to come.

Other than not getting the fps i want, this monitor has been amazing for the price and i would recommend it to anyone whos looking for a lower end hdtv.
January 2, 2010 5:23:22 AM

Depends on how the tv works and how you are getting the fps, 120hz tv actually tend to display the image twice in the same amount of time as it would normally display 1 image, meaning it runs at 60hz+60hz though post processing to give a cleaner image not really a more fluid image though more frames(which is not a bad thing as even hdtv is only shot at 60fps max meaning more fps headroom would not produce more unique frames but even so it done to reduce ghosting which makes the image cleaner), tv's lcd hz is weird, hz on plasma means totally different things as well as hz on older tvs

as far as limits as long as you aren't using hdmi 1.0-1.2 the max res and fps is caped at 1080p at 60fps, 1.3 and 1.4 can fully do a 32bit display at 120hz at 1080

tvs are not usually the best to play games as they usually have the most post processing and unable to turn that off meaning it usually has the highest input lag.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2010 12:47:41 PM

Therados said:
I recently bought an Insignia 32" 1080p 120hz lcdhdtv.

The issue im having is when connecting it to my pc for use as a monitor i can't get more than 60 refresh rate.

It being 120hz, shouldn't i be able to get atleast 100 refresh rate on the monitor if my graphics card supports it?

Thanks

No, lcdhd televisions do not work like monitors.
January 9, 2010 2:16:14 AM

Thanks for replies, ive noticed with some games even at 60 refresh rate my fps is 300, so i guess it just varies, pretty impressed with this tv :) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2010 2:40:32 AM

You may be getting "300 fps" but only a number of frames equal to your refresh rate will be displayed. When your fps exceeds your refresh rate by a fair amount it's best to turn on v-sync for a smoother experience and to avoid screen tearing.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 11:30:39 AM

^Great point. Forgot to mention that.
!