Sign in with
Your question

CRASHING

Last response: in Overclocking
August 2, 2012 1:32:22 PM

Hello, I have xfx 6870 black edition(single fan) I was able to overclock it to 1000/1200 mhz and 980/1230 mhz (stable) but a few days ago my games started crashing after like 30 - 40 mins of playing whenever i overclocked. Please help , is my card damaged or something?
my specs;
i5 2400
8 gb corsair ram
6870 black edition
gx 550w coolermaster psu

More about : crashing

August 3, 2012 6:36:15 AM

homerhellboy223 said:
Return it to default clock speeds and try to get it to crash after putting under the same load. If it doesn't crash the card is not getting enough power. Make sure you are using all 8 pins for your power connector to the main board. Some designs have it 4 capped off, these 4 are necessary for overclocking.

I also increased the voltage and decreased the clocks but even then sometimes the game would crash. Also I could see my game running just that the pc would hang for a second and the game would minimize and has to be manualy terminated by task manager. Plus also here the reviewers OC'd my card much higher and on stock voltage.http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_hd_6870_bla...
my stock voltages are 1174 and i increased them to 1181 and 1193. I hope this didnot cause any damage.
m
l
August 4, 2012 7:20:12 AM

Quote:
take off the overclocking and game again, does it crash.?

as for running the game on stock clocks I realy cannot be sure as the game would not crash but before the game would not crash when I OC as well.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2012 10:03:17 AM

Quote:
understood.

so its not fried or something right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 10:21:11 AM

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the graphics drivers, they may have gotten corrupted.

Quote:
I also increased the voltage

Voltage increasing is a GPU risk even with good cooling!

Unless you are running a very good aftermarket cooling solution on your graphics, IMO you should leave the voltage increases out of your overclocking.

Quote:
my specs;
i5 2400

You're not overclocking your i5 2400 by raising the base clock are you?

If you are? Don't!

Quote:
gx 550w coolermaster psu

"Captain!, The dilithium crystals are almost depleted!, I don't know how much more she can take!"

The XFX minimum, Minimum, MINIMUM! Power supply recommendation is 500W, overclocked without voltage increase the card uses 382W, that doesn't leave much, at least it is a single 12v rail power supply, I would at least went with a 750W power supply.

Most don't realize how important a power supply is, it is much better to go with a high quality higher load capable power supply than barely squeak inside the minimum door of requirements.

There's a big difference between a power supply stressing to cover the load it's bought to bear, than one covering the load on cruise control, but you get what you pay for.

m
l
August 5, 2012 9:07:56 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the graphics drivers, they may have gotten corrupted.

Quote:
I also increased the voltage

Voltage increasing is a GPU risk even with good cooling!

Unless you are running a very good aftermarket cooling solution on your graphics, IMO you should leave the voltage increases out of your overclocking.

Quote:
my specs;
i5 2400

You're not overclocking your i5 2400 by raising the base clock are you?

If you are? Don't!

Quote:
gx 550w coolermaster psu

"Captain!, The dilithium crystals are almost depleted!, I don't know how much more she can take!"

The XFX minimum, Minimum, MINIMUM! Power supply recommendation is 500W, overclocked without voltage increase the card uses 382W, that doesn't leave much, at least it is a single 12v rail power supply, I would at least went with a 750W power supply.

Most don't realize how important a power supply is, it is much better to go with a high quality higher load capable power supply than barely squeak inside the minimum door of requirements.

There's a big difference between a power supply stressing to cover the load it's bought to bear, than one covering the load on cruise control, but you get what you pay for.

I increased the voltage very little by 5 or 10. And all the time I kept the temps under control my temps never went up 85c and that too was reached only once it is always under 80c even when overclocked.
And no im not overclocking my cpu. Im not a overclocking type of gamer I only overclocked because of the review I posted above as they were able to reach much higher clocks on stock voltage. Even then I didnot OC that much but everyone on the internet was able to reach 1000mhz core clock and 1200mhz mem clock with just tweaking the voltage just a litle. As for the psu I read that GX series was very good etc etc and I didn't brought a bigger psu as i thought this one would be sufficient for a single card. Could it be the drivers? the issue did started when I updated my drivers to 12.6, although i did uninstalled and am using the previous ones (12.4).
m
l
!