I7 3770 turbo overclocking

Hi all!

Last week i bought a i7 3770 (non-k) and a Asus P8Z77-V LX, i got the non-k version because it was the only avaible, and i live in a place where finding a 3770 and a z77 board is a miracle.

well, i read that the only way to overclock a non-k SB/IB CPU is via modyfing turbo multiplier, so i did it via BIOS and got a 41 stable multiplier even on full load using prime95, ok, that's nice, but i wanted more, and i changed every core multiplier to 43 (max) but i noticed that when i run prime95 the processor goes up to 43 just for a second and then goes back to 41 and holds there.

Here are some pictures of my BIOS and OS config:

http://sdrv.ms/OtsWvy

in the last picture you can see the CPU runing @4,3ghz on 2 thread tortute test. Is there any way to mantain my multiplier at 43 on full load?

BTW, memories are Corsair vengeance 1600 and i have the lastest BIOS installed.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about 3770 turbo overclocking
  1. There is a reason that the cpu is a non K model and that's because the multiplier is locked so to get the cpu to 41 is something you should be happy with and that extra two steps is not going to produce enough of a performance increase to be worth it. The locking of the cpu will prevent you from going further since there woukld be no reason for the two models if you could take the non K model as high as the K model.
  2. inzone is not right.
    1) with non-k processors you get limited unlock. So YES they can be overclocked, so yes you should set the max mulitpler to the highest.

2) There is no such thing as adjusting the turbo multiplier versus the cpu multiplier. there is just 1 multiplier which is the speed the cpu runs at. It is not a jet fighter.
    turbo is just Intel marketing words.

With windows, everyone uses Speedstep. So idle sped is 16. Max speed is the max multiplier. The random inbetween mark that is the "stock speed" is just marketting mumbo jumbo.

3) There are different max speeds depending on how many cores you use. this happens even when you are stock. If you use more cores then you will have a lower max multiplier.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#.22Ivy_Bridge.22_.2822_nm.29

so called stock "frequency" is 3.4. and "turbo boosts" are 3/4/5/5.

Why they jump through these hoops to make you do math is meaningless, but you end up with

Stock:
    Max single thread is 39.
    Max 4 threads is 37.

Difference between quad and single is 2bins.

Looks like you get to do +4 from the "limited unlock", so that's why you can set 43 in the bios.

Do a single threaded torture test and *set affinity for that thread to 1 cpu* in taskmanager. That should match up with your max multiplier you set (43).
    If you do 2 threads it should still be 43.
    If you do 3threads, then it should drop 1bins to 42.
    if you do 4threads, then it should drop to 41.

If you have single thread, but it's affinity is set to all CPUs, the max may fluctuate between 41 and 43 while SpeedStep tries to figure out how many cpus are in load and the thread is hopping around.

So the real lesson here is, if performance truly is being tested, setting affinity is important in 2 ways,
    A) (for these chips with variable turbo) it keeps the multiplier working properly at it's proper max
    B) (for all multicore chips) the thread does not need to hop around to different cores, and you can get a benchmark difference from that.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel i7