Print server with multi-tier router structure

bsawtelle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I have an Airlink USB-to-IP Print Server (along with PC's) attached to one of the 4-port routers in my home network which attaches to the cable modem. I have a 2nd 4-port router attached to one of the ports on the 1st router and subsequently more PC's on this 2nd level.

I've not been successful in printing from the 2nd "tier" to the P/S on the 1st-tier. I'm running a combination of W2K, XP and would like to print from all tiers. (I also am running PuppyLinux and W98SE, and it would be great to print from them as well asthey are on wireless ports at the tier-1 level, but want to get the other Windows boxes on both tiers printing).

Printer is a USB attached HP 6100 all-in-one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Turn off DHCP on the second router. Teir2.

If it's on, that's the issue.

Further if you are connecting the tier 2 to the WAN port, you will more than likely have to plug into one of the 4 ports on the router. The WAN port would block the DHCP of the first router.

So the routers are connected LAN port to LAN port, not LAN port to WAN port.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Turn off DHCP on the second router. Teir2.

If it's on, that's the issue.

Further if you are connecting the tier 2 to the WAN port, you will more than likely have to plug into one of the 4 ports on the router. The WAN port would block the DHCP of the first router.

So the routers are connected LAN port to LAN port, not LAN port to WAN port.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS