Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-3570k Temps (total cooling newbie)

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2012 1:20:46 PM

I feel I am fairly experienced with PC builds, but have never messed with overclocking or paid much attention to cooling. I recently built an i5-3570k system in an Antec Sonata Solo II case. It was built for sound, and realized going in that cooling might be an issue. To compensate for the case, I have two (2) 120 mm COUGAR CF-V12HP pushing in from the front, and the stock Antec Truequiet 120 mm taking out the back. PSU is a SeaSonic M12II 620 top mounted taking air out the back but vent on top so taking air from outside case. I am running stock Intel cooling on the CPU, so that may be an issue. There are 3 hard drives and DVD, and one of the Cougars is pushing air over the drives into the case. Also running an Asus 7850 HD.

I had no intention to overclock extensively, but I have allowed OC Genie II to run and take to 4.2 on the multiplier. From my limited exposure to overclocking, I understand this to be very minimal as no other settings have been changed. So, what does this all get me. . .

46c idle
82-87c under load (core 3 is showing always 5 degrees higher than other cores)

Is this high? It seems high. It doesn't take much for fans to really ramp up when playing just about any game. Right now I play Dragon Age Origins a lot, and fans go all the time.

I am thinking I need a new CPU cooler, but this is in my office, and my last computer was so loud, I decided I just didn't want the noise. Granted, the last PC had something like 5 fans and was heavily cooled, and only reason for that is that when I built it, I figured if there was a fan opening, put a fan there.

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 1:51:33 PM

raven1970 said:
-It was built for sound,
-I am running stock Intel cooling on the CPU, so that may be an issue.
-I am thinking I need a new CPU cooler, but this is in my office, and my last computer was so loud, I decided I just didn't want the noise.

You got it. You should buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. And if you purchase a half decent one it will actually be much quieter then the stock cooler your using. Not only will it be quieter but it will also help your temperatures (OCing or not).

Everyone recommends the CM hyper 212 because the price is so low. But I like the Noctua NH-U12P, Noctua NH-D14, and Thermalright Venomous X.

Good luck.
m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 4:23:24 PM

If you have a lot of fans in your case then you should have a fan controller so as to cut down on the noise. The main purpose of case fans is to move the air inside the case so that the fans that are coolong the components have cooler fresh air to use. It's not always necessary to run case fans a fuul force , the fans on the individual components will spin up when heat is detected to cool that component down. Also the Ivy Bridge cpu's do not overclock as well as the Sandy Bridge and when voltage is applied the cpu starts to heat up. With the overclock Genie I don't know what the overclock settings are and f those settings add any voltage.
I would get an after market cpu cooler for sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 4:29:54 PM

skaz said:
You got it. You should buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. And if you purchase a half decent one it will actually be much quieter then the stock cooler your using. Not only will it be quieter but it will also help your temperatures (OCing or not).

Everyone recommends the CM hyper 212 because the price is so low. But I like the Noctua NH-U12P, Noctua NH-D14, and Thermalright Venomous X.

Good luck.

Thank you. There is a HUGE price difference, and I have always been one to understand you get what you pay for, but what about diminishing returns? The 212 is $20 with free shipping and no tax from Newegg. The NH-U12P is $70 plus a few dollars for shipping. Obviously, the NH-U12P will not make my CPU 3x cooler. The NH-D14 is $85. What are the trade-offs based on your experience between the coolers you recommend?

Also, what are typical temps for this CPU? What should my targets be?

Thanks again.
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:34:40 PM

inzone said:
If you have a lot of fans in your case then you should have a fan controller so as to cut down on the noise. The main purpose of case fans is to move the air inside the case so that the fans that are coolong the components have cooler fresh air to use. It's not always necessary to run case fans a fuul force , the fans on the individual components will spin up when heat is detected to cool that component down. Also the Ivy Bridge cpu's do not overclock as well as the Sandy Bridge and when voltage is applied the cpu starts to heat up. With the overclock Genie I don't know what the overclock settings are and f those settings add any voltage.
I would get an after market cpu cooler for sure.

Thanks. I don't have a lot of fans. That was an old PC I think you are responding to. I have 3 fans, they are all controlled by MB. Can't even hear this system when not under load. As quiet as my wife's iMac. But, temps are a little high under load, and when they spin up to bring temps down (85c under load), it does get a bit louder than I like. The only change on the OC Genie that I noticed was a multiplier on the CPU to 4.2. Not looking to really overclock. This system was about stability not speed. Thanks.
m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 4:47:45 PM

The post I made was about your Pc and the heat generated by the cpu, not speed and the settings used by the overclock Genie. The cpu has a tendency to give a lot off heat when overclocked and not when run in stock speed. So a good after market heatsink is needed if you want to continue the overclock. The cpu is good enough to be run without overclocking and you will get good performance from it. The temps that you posted under load are too high and are nearing thermal shutdown temps. I would suggest running the cpu at stock settings to see what the temps are and what they get to when under load.
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:42:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. . .No one has said what temps I should be looking for. So, went back to stock speed, and to be honest, I am not very up on overclocking. From what I could tell, CPU had only multiplier changed to 4.2 through OC Genie II. It was consistent whenever I looked at. When I went back to stock, I could see the multiplier dynamically changing in Realtemp. Regardless, here is how it looked:

Idle temps dropped significantly. Dropped across the board 10c down to about an average of 35 from a previous average of around 46c. However, under load, difference was only about 2c less.

So what does that mean? All I can figure is cooling not very efficient under higher loads in my config. What can I expect if I replace the CPU heat sink and fan? 5 degrees? 15 degrees? What's typical? What should this be running at?

If it matters, room temp is at 27c. I would like it cooler, but it will be 40c+ outside shortly. :-(
m
l

Best solution

a c 138 K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 5:53:57 PM

The idle temps are now more normal , but the load temps are still too high and it may be due to the stock heatsink , so you will have to look at what you want to spend for an after market cooler which should bring the idle temps down even more and the load temps should come down 10c which would make it more acdceptable.
Don't forget when using your computer the loads may never reach 100% load , you only see that when running a benchmark test and that will give you the highest temp that you will see if it goes to 100% load. So that 82-87 temp that you had at 100% load is not going to be seen unless you are running your computer at 100% load and how often will you see that.
If you get the Cooler Master Evo then you will have decent cooling and not see 80c under 100% load.
August 13, 2012 7:59:43 PM

Best answer selected by raven1970.
m
l
!