Solved

Iomega eGo 500GB External Hard Drive isn't recognized

My external hard drive has suddenly stopped working. It vibrates and my laptop beeps when I put it in and out but I can't see my files. I tried plugging and unplugging it and I get the same error. I also tried shutting down my laptop for 5 minutes. None of my 3 USB ports work so it has to be my hard drive. What do I do?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about iomega 500gb external hard drive recognized
  1. Hello ChiefKeeper92,
    Welcome to Forums!!

1. Try connecting your External HDD to some other PC
    2. Try if you can see your files with Recuva
  2. It isn't recognized when I plug it in to other computers. I also ran Recuva but since it isn't even installed on my laptop I don't know how I can use the program to help me. If my hard drive isn't recognized or able to be installed what's the next step? Can I somehow save the info off of it?
  3. Best answer
    Let's try one more.
    I understand this drive is not at all showing in your laptop and isn't even installed. Once I had this problem with an internal HDD which was not showing in Windows or even BIOS. I had then used Parted Magic and my HDD was visible in this (Linux based) program and I was able to save my Data. You can even run this program by booting from its CD (No install is required).
    If nothing is working, no harm in giving it a try.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!!!
  4. jsmakkar, thank you for all the tips that you brought. I used a different cord and it seemed to work fine when i ran recuva. Otherwise the new cord just allowed me to install it. The connections seemed faulty but thank you for the support. Yes I am inhebriated if you were wondering.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
  5. Best answer selected by ChiefKeeper92.
  6. Thank you!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops Iomega External Hard Drive Storage