Planning to upgrade my graphics card and need help.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hey i currently have a HD2400 pro PCI-E graphics card and am looking to upgrade it. Just looking for a reasonable price graphics card up to $100. The obvious upgrade would be the HD 3450 but just wondering which other options i have and which graphics card will fit my system. I also have a Intel E4500 dual core processor @2.20ghz, 1GB ram and am running windows xp professional. Thanks for ur help.

Except I did not pick specific cards. I leave brand and price up to OP. I have a hard time recommending a HD4670 card for $79.99 when you can get another one for $65.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
just wondering is the nvidia card going to work on my computer. my current graphics card is a DDR2 memory type with a PCI-E interface. all i found at the moment is that both cards use the PCI-E 2.0 interface, so will that work on a PCI-E interface??? Both cards are also using the GDDR3 memory type. my current ram is DDR2 so im guessing it wont work.

The GDDR3 has nothing to do with your system memory, it is only for on card communication so no problem there. The PCI-e 2.0 interface is backwards compatible with 1.x interface.
The only question left to answer is , what is the size of your power supply?

It'll work fine, even if your motherboard is PCI-E 1.0 (Not 2.0) it will still work as its backwards compatible. And the change from DDR2 to DDR3 makes no difference as far as compatibility is concerned.

@ rolli59 I was just joking man hence the ":L" Lighten up man, i just thought it was funny that we both recommened similar cards.

No offense taken. Just pointing out the price difference between the cards.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
the size of my power supply is 230W i think. i found it out the red switch sort of thing next to the power supply but i think maybe i can switch it to a higher power supply. it says the voltage is 115/230~. just looking at the info and max power draws, it looks like the 4670 is the better fit. the 9800 takes alot more power and my power is limited.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
k ill check it out. just wondering if this will affect anything, when i bought the computer it had an integrated intel graphics card in there so i cant take it out but ive turned it off on the bios.