Did I install my case fans correctly?

queesy

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hello,

I am unsure if I installed my case fans correctly.

Here are some photos.

Those top fans I am most unsure of. Please tell me if I need to flip them the other side.

edit: uploading photos right now since i cant figure out how to do it in my post.

edit: here it is. http://www.flickr.com/photos/truthbuzz/

Solution

The side that has full access to the fan blades is pulling in the air. Just set up the fan how it best fits you. Sometimes it is facing the "circuitry" and sometimes it is not. Depends on if you want it to be exhausting or in taking air. Like I said, typically top fans are exhausting air. So yes in your case the fan's "bracket" side would be facing away from the motherboard =).

Side Note: "Most fans have little arrows imprinted on outside casing of the fan. These arrows indicate which way the fan blades rotate and which way air intakes and exhaust.

skaz

Distinguished
The picture with the fans installed has them intaking air. In some cases this is normal. But typically top fans are exhausting air. In your case your probably going to want them exhausting air, so go ahead and flip them around. This depends to on how you have your front/bottom fans set up. Assuming your front fans are in taking air then go ahead and flip the top fans to exhaust air.

queesy

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Thank you for your response.

Just for clarification, the bracket side (exhaust) faces away from the circuitry?

Maybe u missed a hole here : )

That's no big deal though.

7704906428_506086bf27_z.jpg

Check direction of this one.

U can use couple of inches of dental floss in tweezers to check where is the blow heading, just to be sure.

7704898714_cbf6ffa904_z.jpg

What case did you get and what fans did it come with? What are the posistions that are available to put fans ?
The proper air flow design for a case is to have the front and side fans as intake and the rear and top fans as exaust , that way air will have a path to follow from the front to the rear/top and the heatsink/fan wants to be blowing towards the rear exaust fan.

queesy

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

queesy

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

I got the corsair. Carbide 300r and it came with two fans. One rear and one front. I bought 3 cm fans and there is a fan on my hyper 212+.

If you have two on the top and one in the rear as exaust then you need as many for intake or Take one of those fans from the top and use it in the side panel window as an intake to go along with the front intake. With three exaust fans you have too many as exaust.
Your case came with two fans and you bought three so you need to end up with three intake and two exaust.
So if there is only one spot in the front for a fan then you will have to put two in the side window and the one in the front and make them intake. Then one in the rear and one on top as exaust.

queesy

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Hello.

Right now I have two fans on the top as intake (bracket's side mounted), one rear fan (bracket's side mounted) and two in the front as exhaust (not bracket side mounted).

I think the bracket side is exhaust and and the fan side is intake. I am not sure.

Do you recommend me take one of my top fans and put it on the side? Do i mount the bracket side or the fan side? I'm sorry for making it more confused that it really is, but that is how I distinguish them.

Also, I plan to buy two more fans for the side so can I just wait until then or should this be addressed immediately?

skaz

Distinguished

The side that has full access to the fan blades is pulling in the air. Just set up the fan how it best fits you. Sometimes it is facing the "circuitry" and sometimes it is not. Depends on if you want it to be exhausting or in taking air. Like I said, typically top fans are exhausting air. So yes in your case the fan's "bracket" side would be facing away from the motherboard =).

Side Note: "Most fans have little arrows imprinted on outside casing of the fan. These arrows indicate which way the fan blades rotate and which way air intakes and exhaust.

Solution