I recently installed a new hard drive, and installed
windows xp. After installation, i tried to install a
printer and when i pluged it in nothing happened. When i
looked under systems, there are no usb drivers
installed. I'm up to date on all my service packs. Can u
help me.

Be sure your Motherboard BIOS has your USB
ports "enabled". If not enable them. let the machine boot.

Then check your "control panel" "system" "Device Manager"
hardware settings again, you should see toward the bottom
of your list of hardware "Universal Serial Bus
Controllers". hope this helps. :)

learner

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004

I don't have universal Serial Bus controller at all on device manager,how to
add it ?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:59:07 -0700, learner wrote:

> I don't have universal Serial Bus controller at all on device manager,how to
> add it ?

Since there is no USB controller in Device Manager, it's possible that the
USB controller is disabled or damaged.

Disabled: Check that USB is enabled in your BIOS setup screens. How to get
to these screens varies from one system to the next. If you do not see
"Press [some key(s) listed here] to enter setup, consult your system manual
for the needed keyboard combination. Change the setting to enabled and then
boot into Windows normally. The operating system should then "see" the
controller and install the needed drivers.

Damaged: If USB is enabled in BIOS but still not showing up.... XP
recognizes almost all USB controllers. There is an off chance that you need
the USB drivers for your motherboard installed. Check the CDs that came
with the system for these and at the manufacturer's website.

If still no luck, the ports/controller may have been damaged. If the system
is still under warranty, call the system manufacturer's tech support. They
will work with you and if it is confirmed that the controller is damaged,
will guide you through the process for getting it repaired. If the system
is not under warranty, you'll need to decide whether you're going to
contact the system manufacturer or an independent computer repair shop.

Usually getting onboard USB controllers "repaired," is done by replacing
the motherboard. Another alternative would be keeping the motherboard and
adding a USB card.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User