Sign in with
Your question

For gaming cafe upgrade my existing machines and add more 400$budget

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2010 2:36:47 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-8weeks.
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching movies ,surfing the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, power supply, Case, OS

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type
NVIDIA for graphic cards cause they are in more supply in my country.
Intel CPU cause AMD is in less supply so generally more expensive.

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

Existing Machines, 2 years old, 45 pieces
Case: Cooler Master
Mother Board: Asrock Wolfdale 333-D677
CPU: Intel Dual Core CPU Wolf Dale FSB I333 2.2Ghz
Graphic Card: 7600gt
RAM: 2G

What im looking here is to change the graphic card to something new, if in doing so, will i also need to change the existing parts so that the machine can handle the new Card.

Im also looking to add more new PC's, around 45 pieces.
So any new build will be appreciated and thanks everybody in advance for their thoughts.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

This is for a gaming cafe, the PC's should be optimized for gaming but don’t have to be the best in the market.
Most games played are WOW, Warcraft 3 Dota, League of Legend, Red Alert 3...etc games in these categories, so it doesnt have to be high end to play Crisis 3 or anything, as far as I can think it should be able to handle StarCraft 2 which will be the next big thing in LAN and competitive gaming, i can assume that SC2 requirements will be close to Command and Conquer 3 and 40k Dawn of war 2
I was thinking about NVIDIA 9800gt for graphic card which i own personally and plays Dragon Age Origins smoothly.
Also the new PC's should handle Modern Warfare 2 smoothly.
Please keep in mind cause of the amount of changes that every 10$ make a big difference in the big scale.
Thanks

January 6, 2010 3:00:17 PM

get 4 gb of ram for each and a 9800 gt would suffice for a few months just make sure your power supplies can handle it

what cpu's do you have exactly?
January 6, 2010 3:11:01 PM

Its Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
wolf dale fsb1333 making dual core
I'm guessing this is the what u asked for.
Related resources
January 6, 2010 6:25:08 PM

I wouldn't get any more memory because after this upgrade, the next upgrade is going to be expensive and you wont be able to reuse any memory purchased for the current upgrade.

If I were you, I would upgrade just one component to start:

$108 Sparkle SX98GT512D3L-NM GeForce 9800 GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 x16 DVI HDMI HDCP Low Profile Graphics Card

After installing the video card, look at the Performance tab in Task Manager and check what your cpu usage is while running your games. If it is above 50%, replace your CPU with this:
$81 Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

The next time you upgrade you're going to have to replace the board and all your memory. Keep in mind that you are using only a fraction of this video cards capability since you are probably using a PCI-e 1.0 board. Make sure you test your set-up before sending in your order.
January 7, 2010 3:38:58 AM

i see thanks for the input.
So next time im replacing, it will be the motherboard and memory.
As for the CPU, do you also recommend the same for building a PC from scratch, as i plan on adding around 45 new ones, buying in bulk helps with the fees.
So for those new parts will have to be considered plus life span.
Thanks.
January 7, 2010 3:58:50 AM

I specified an under-sized cpu right now because I don't think your current set-up has much life left in it and this cpu will likely be either discarded or sold off for the next full-upgrade.

This industry changes so fast I wouldn't make the build/buy decision now. It's usually cheaper to build a game machine, but that can change depending on the Windows license and budget. When you specify your next upgrade, make sure you specify whether you are able to transfer your old license or want a new OS. The OS can be a major cost of a small system, and system builders are able to buy it at huge discount.
January 7, 2010 5:26:45 AM

Thanks for OS reminder, i edited the post to mention that. True OS in bulk is sold incredibly cheap, XP license i think i get them for 50$ each so shouldnt be a problem, as well the Cafe shop launch software.
Not sure if i explained everything properly., or everyone got it, but im too slow to get, any way.
Im looking to update my excisting 45, and buy another extra 45 at the same time, making a totel of 90 PC's in my shop.
So i need an opinion also on what the new PCs build should look like. Just the Core neccessaties.
What Vanekl mentioned about the CPU makes sense and fits well with the budget, so thankyou very much on that.
January 7, 2010 5:46:49 AM

Now I understand.

For your 45 new machines I would start by looking through the "Recommended Builds by Usage" thread in this forum. Put something together that you feel is reasonable based on your local conditions. Don't submit it yet.

Now you have a rough idea of the parts. Try putting together a system at Dell and try to match the parts of the build you put together above. Then call a sales representative and ask them what type of discount they are willing to give you. Don't worry if you aren't able to get a decent video card -- that can be added. You WILL get a discount if you ask. After you get this price then you will know what your budget is when putting together a new build. Your quote may be so good that you may not be able to build it for less. If it's not a good quote, make sure you specify this budget on your submission in this forum.
!