Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a new hard drive?...

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2011 6:15:36 AM

Hello I currently purchased a new motherboard, meaning my velociraptor hard drives install of windows won't be accessible (shows as "capable but disabled" in the motherboards bios). My velociraptor is currently has windows 7 on it. But the question is... Can I just get a new install of windows and throw it on my velociraptor with the install still on there? (i would guess it would work and just put the old OS in a folder called, "windows.old") or do I need a new hard drive to go with it? Need anymore info let me know (: thank you!

More about : hard drive

a c 1097 V Motherboard
a c 261 G Storage
December 24, 2011 10:34:43 AM

In most cases you can do a repair install over the old install. But certainly you can do a clean install and format the drive as well.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 24, 2011 11:09:18 AM

It is possible to do a new install without deleting the old windows, but it is a waste of HDD storage capacity. I recommend that you do as Rolli suggests and try a repair to see if you can use your old install and revitalize it to work with the new mobo.

If you cannot do a successful repair, then do a clean install and (afterwards) try to wipe the old installation off your HDD to reclaim the space.
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2011 3:38:43 PM

How would I go about "repairing" my hard drive?? Thanks for the responses!!
m
l
a c 1097 V Motherboard
a c 261 G Storage
December 24, 2011 5:46:44 PM

Repair install is simple, you select to install and when windows checks the drive it will find a previous windows installation and offer to repair it pressing R.
m
l
!