GA-890GPA-UD3H & AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8G

G

I am putting together this new build, and after I built it and tried to power on for the first time I did not get a post. The fans come on so the board is getting power. I tried the internal video and a known working 9800gt and could not get any video. I hooked up the pc speaker and noticed that it gives me three long beeps and then a shorter one, then seems to repeate the cycle over again.

The next thing i did was disconected everything, pulled out the video card, and left only the cpu and ram installed. Power on and get the same beeps, so I then removed the ram, powered on and i get the same beeps. The motherboard is a revision one, but I have read disagreeing accounts on whether the revision one can run the x6 outta the box.

I am trying to verify that it is indeed the motherboard before i send it back, due to the fact that it is possible ill be shipped another revision one.

Any help would be appreciated.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8G
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

bilbat

Splendid
Barring any 'leftover' assembly problems (shorts to extra standoffs, any other case-realted grief), almost certainly you have a BIOS that doesn't support the 'hexacore' - we've seen this several times, for both the AMD's and the Intels. Usually, most GB's will boot with an 'unsupported' CPU; apparently, the architectural differences are just too great with the hex's. For you, it's a cheap solution: you can pick up a spare Sempron to do the flash to the latest BIOS for ~$35; for the poor Intel guys, that 'cheap' spare is ~$290! And, you wind up with a spare CPU - which is always going to be handy for troubleshooting. I happen to have a spare Athlon laying around here, and you're welcome to have it - just let me get a magnifying glass and confirm that it's for the correct socketing - I don't 'do' AMD's...

bdbarb

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
That is the worst advice I've ever heard! Trying another proc is a good idea. But to state the board won't work with the chip, is obviously a way to support your posting numbers. That board works perfect for the 1055T.

Depends on which revision and which BIOS on top of that too. For instance revision 1 of that board needs BIOS F7 for the 1055T to be compatible. That bios only came out 2 days before this thread started. So I'd bet my bottom dollar that, that is the problem. Gigabyte web site shows 4 earlier BIOS versions for the revision 1 board.