Sign in with
Your question

Will my water be okay?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2012 9:15:25 PM

Hi guys,

I got a 5 litre bottle of de-ionised water from my physics lab at uni. I've been running it in my CPU only loop for about 6-7 months and I saw no problems. I've recently taken it all apart for a big upgrade and on closer inspection I have noticed there are small amounts of bacteria growing in the tubing. I have had to recycle the CPU waterblock, but everything else is new, including tubing. 2 questions.
1) Will the plastic from the container have leeched into the distilled water too much for me to use it again?
- if yes, would it be okay for leak testing at least?
2) By using the same CPU block could I get bacteria transfer and quickly build up in my new system. - I use antibacterial drops.

This is only my second ever custom rig and I'd like not to ruin it!

Thanks in advance!
Pete

More about : water

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 9:33:19 PM

I would replace the tubing throughout and you can kill the bacteria by filling the system with 50% Listerine 50% distilled water mix and letting it run for a couple of hours. Then run some 50% vinegar 50% distilled water mix for a couple of hours, and flush the system with distilled water only you should flush the system about every 6 months always. With distilled water I use HTH extended algae guard for biocides a couple of drops need to be added to the system every couple of months. I also use water wetter for corrosion control but that is me, many do not and have no issues.
August 3, 2012 10:01:30 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
I would replace the tubing throughout and you can kill the bacteria by filling the system with 50% Listerine 50% distilled water mix and letting it run for a couple of hours. Then run some 50% vinegar 50% distilled water mix for a couple of hours, and flush the system with distilled water only you should flush the system about every 6 months always. With distilled water I use HTH extended algae guard for biocides a couple of drops need to be added to the system every couple of months. I also use water wetter for corrosion control but that is me, many do not and have no issues.

Thanks alot toolmaker! This might sound like a silly question... but, just normal listerine and kitchen vinegar? Do they not do damage to the metal in the blocks? :-s

Will the distilled water I've had for the last 6 months be alright in those flushes? or should I get some new stuff?

Thanks again
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 11:44:08 PM

New stuff, never re-use distilled from a loop,
You may find adding uv lighting to the loop helps keep growth down too
Moto
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 11:44:10 PM

yes normal stuff, just do not leave it in there for a couple of weeks at a time and it will be fine.

yes you should replace the water every 6 months or so.
August 3, 2012 11:57:15 PM

Yeah I've now got some UV lighting too and I do replace the water regularly. Dw, I wasn't planning on using the same water than came out, But I have about 3 litres left over from last time I refilled. I was wondering whether that would be alright to use, or whether 6 months in my garage rendered it worthless?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 12:06:33 AM

if it is not open it should be fine

water can hold its own for some time before it goes bad.
August 4, 2012 12:41:26 AM

So if its been opened then probably just best to get some more?

Where is the best place to get it from (in the UK)? All different companies/sites say theirs is better etc... does it actually make any difference?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 1:25:56 AM

your local food store should have some, or the automotive store should have some.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 12:23:32 PM

My local pharmacy orders it, think I last paid £16 for 20L (4x5L) and as long as your container is sealed and out of direct sunlight it will keep, although any that you've stored that looks remotely furry should be discarded ofc :p 
Moto
August 6, 2012 4:44:29 PM

I popped into a garage that was selling deionised water for car batteries. Couldn't believe how much cheaper it was than distilled water online. I shall check out my local pharmacy, I had never even thought of that!

How much difference is there in terms of deionised to distilled water in regards to pc water cooling??

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 7:36:27 PM

Zero,zip,nada.
any liquid that goes through your pump becomes ionised anyway so its irrelevant, which is why we tend to ignore £15 premixes that claim 0.00000001% conductivity etc, after ten minutes its just as conductive as the £1 distilled/de-ionised from the garage/pharmacy
either is suitable for W/c and cheap enough to replace as often as you wish
Moto
!