Sign in with
Your question

Adding RAM to my lappy

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2012 10:54:31 PM

Hi there...complete noob question I know, but would love some help....I have a HP laptop & need to up grade ram from 2 gb to 4 gb - apparently it wil take 5gb according to crucial.com ... can I add a 4gb ram stick to one slot leaving a 1gb stick in the other? will this be ok? Thank you so much in advance whoever answers x

More about : adding ram lappy

August 4, 2012 2:47:01 PM

What is your computer model? Its odd that it says 5gb. Id say thats false. Ram is limited by the OS i think not the hardware. So it would really depend on which version of windows you have. Windows vista 32bit takes a max of 4gb, and if you have the 64gb version then you should be good up to 8gb. Look at this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...(v=vs.85).aspx

Schroll down and find your windows version and you will see what your Pc can take.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 4:24:32 PM

your hardware can also limit ram. i would say its better to have matching sticks. I would just do the 2 x 2gb, and go with 4 gigs.
m
l
Related resources
a c 135 } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 4:35:45 PM

Some laptops have memory that is soldered directly to the motherboard. This allows for more compact laptops but greatly hinders upgradability. If you can tell us the model of your laptop we can help you better
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2012 4:53:17 PM

Depends on what laptop, 5gb wouldn't be dual channel mode.
m
l
!