Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading to a quad core CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2010 7:31:07 PM

Disclaimer: This is my first thread here so if it ends up in the wrong category/breaking any rules feel free to point that out, as well as asking for any missing information that might be required. Also please excuse my English, I'm not a native speaker.

Now then, with that out of the way I'll ask my questions; I'm feeling that my current CPU "Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2666 MHz" is getting a little dated so I'm investigating the go abouts for getting a new one. I've figured out that I have a 775 socket and I'm therefore thinking about this as a fitting step up within my price range: "Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 2,66GHz, Socket 775, 6MB, 1333MHz" and Im wondering if theres anything I'd need to think about when installing this new piece of hardware in terms of: Will it require new cooling? Will I have to get extra power into the computer?

Also, I'm upgrading the videocard and here goes the second question, if it should be posted in the GPU section then just tell me; Would the "ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 2.0, "CuCore", 2xDVI-I, native-HDMI, HDCP
" be a fitting choice?
Will it fit in my computer even tho it's an ATI card and my previous card was nvidia?
And finally will it require any extra power line things?

Help is greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD P35 Neo-F
Chipset : Intel P31/P35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202H ATA Device
DVD-Rom Drive : AHONCZM YFO9QVC96 SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : LG Electronics W1952 - 19 inches
Network Card : RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.5
a c 105 à CPUs
March 12, 2010 8:15:17 PM

1. according to your motherboard web site you will be good to go with the Q9400, just make sure to update your BIOS
http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat...

assuming the CPU is a consumer version, it will come with a new cooler for you to install. Youtube is full of videos you can watch on how to install it.

2. a 5770 is a fine card and will need to use the extra power cable you currently have attached to your 8800GT. Just uninstall the Nvidia drivers prior to installing the new card. Youtube is also full of videos on how to install a new video card.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2010 8:26:19 PM

welcome to the forums, i would quicker suggest a q9300, the 775 socket is dated, but if you really just want to upgrade, its a really good choice, i wudnt spend too much on a 775 system, the 5770 is also a solid choice, but when you get it, set the fan so it doesnt go under 50% and set the gpu so it doesnt underclock too low when idle, some people who have these cards have trouble with these things, good luck, i just upgraded from a 4400+ to a x4 620 u wont be disappointed good luck
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2010 11:54:18 PM

Welcome to the fourms. To best answer your questions, please provide the following info.

What programs are you running that you're looking for an improvement in performance?

Is this a previous homebuilt system?

What resolution monitor are you running?
March 13, 2010 2:21:04 PM

skora said:
Welcome to the fourms. To best answer your questions, please provide the following info.

What programs are you running that you're looking for an improvement in performance?

Is this a previous homebuilt system?

What resolution monitor are you running?

Of course; I bought the system but it's not a dell or something like that so it's not a factory built one. However I did not assemble it myself, the store did. The performance increase is aimed for gaming, specifically bf:bc2 which recently came out. Some extra fps in other games would be nice as well.
And finally, my current monitor is 1440*900, however I might upgrade but not to anything above 1900*1080, I think.
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2010 7:36:19 PM

Are you up for overclocking the CPU? A quad will help a little with the extra cores taking care of the other stuff the computer is running, but not be a HUGE leak in performance. You're biggest gains will be from faster clock speeds and that won't cost you anything.

Heres your E6750 vs the E9400. In gaming, the quad does do better, but not enough to justify the money IMO. Faster Clock speeds will do more than extra cores.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=60&p2=76&...

I'd also say the 8800GT is a good match for 1440x900. That resolution isn't too tasking and your GPU is a good card. The 5770 would be extreme overkill at that resolution, but would have you set up for a monitor upgrade. The ATI cards will work the same as the Nvidia ones. Just need to uninstall the Nvidia drivers before installing the ATI card. Both cards should use the same 6pin power connector, so shouldn't need anything else in power connections either.

If willing, I'd start with an OC to the CPU and see where you're at. If you want more, then the upgrade the GPU and keep the OC'd CPU. If you still want more, get a C2Q.
March 13, 2010 8:20:01 PM

The 5770 should be fine, and if you're on a budget, the 5750 is almost equivalent (the Memory bandwidth performance differs only by 2GB/s - which in GPU terms is not significant), or the 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 version is a lot cheaper and is also competitive. Though the Radeon 5XXX version support DX11 ;) 
March 13, 2010 8:21:32 PM

The Intel Quad processor should be very good, or the Q9550 if you can afford it ;)  All the best.
March 13, 2010 8:35:12 PM

Hmm, okay - idle temps are about 31c for both cores atm, however I once tried to overclock (I cant remember how it's done tho :whistle: ) and as I remember it I started getting BSOD's. Could have been another reason tho, was long ago.
Also the reason I'm thinking of getting a quad is because it seems that many new games actually take advantage of the extra cores, but if I'll get a refresher of how to OC that might be enough for now.

Regarding a new GPU, there are mainly two points of interest; DX11 and getting the power necessary for turning on AA.
I have also been having some issues with my current 8800, where (At least I think it's the 8800 messing around) it's getting me blue-screens and I was given the suggestion to change card.
Also when I eventually have to get a new PC (as this one has a 775 socket) I could just get one without any GPU/one with a 5770 and run them in crossfire.

Besides, OCing my E6750 and getting the card is a pretty dirt cheap upgrade, but wouldn't the CPU bottleneck the GPU then?
I'm a technoob so just correct me where I'm wrong.

*Edit: Thanks for all the help btw, really appreciate it.
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2010 9:22:12 PM

Happy to help. My wife encourages it because I'm not getting in her way or in trouble!

Overclocking a C2D goes like this:
Bump up the FSB a little. 20 mhz at a time to start. After each bump, boot into windows. Run a stress program like Prime95. Only let it run a minute or two. No immediate errors, go and repeat this step.

Once you get errors, you have two options:
1: lower the FSB 5-10mhz at a time until you don't get any errors on prime95. You'll actually want to let this run without errors for 6-8 hours. If you do get errors, drop the FSB again.

OR

2: Increase the CPU voltage a little, like 0.01 or less. Load up a temperature monitoring program like HWmonitor. Then run prime95 and watch the temps. If prime95 passes, you have the option to increase the voltage more and then bump up the FSB some more too. Keep doing this until you get to a thermal range you're comfortable with. The E6750 should be fine running up near 70degrees C and don't push the past 1.40v if the temps are fine.

These are simple and safe OC methods. There's lots of other little tricks that can be done for an extreme OC, but not necessary to see if your chip OC'd would be good enough for you. If you can OC over 3ghz, you won't be bottlenecking the 5770 where it would effect playable frame rates.

What PSU do you have?

When are you getting BSOD? During gaming or just random?

Don't get me wrong, if you have the money and want to get a few more years out of this system, getting the q9400 and a new GPU will get the job done. If you want a phased upgrade, I'd start with the GPU and OC and save the money so you can get a new platform in another year or so.
March 14, 2010 3:10:10 PM

Thanks for the answer, Im not sure about the PSU, could look it up tho.

Okay, I think I'll go with increasing the mhz first, what number would I have to reach to get 3ghz?
Secondly, Im getting BSOD's randomly, primarily while gaming.

Also, if I do get a high res monitor (I'm on the fence about a 1920*1080 Samsung Syncmaster), does that put more demand on the GPU or the CPU? Probably both, but Im thinking it mainly puts pressure on the GPU, correct?
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2010 5:53:21 PM

You'd have to set the FSB to 375mhz. CPU speed works like this. The front side bus speed gets multiplied by the CPU multiplier. Your CPU is an 8x. So working backwards, 3000mhz/8x=375 fsb. Looks like your CPU can do that on stock voltage, so I'd go ahead and jump straight to that.

You're mobo is only rated for 333mhz fsb, so that will be overclocking the mobo too. Should be okay, but you might hit the limits of the mobo before you hit the limits of the CPU if going for a max OC.

Here's MSIs section for you mobo incase you have other questions. The CPU support list is goofy. They do the E72 and 7300, but not the 74+. The Q9400 is on there though.
http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&...

If you're getting errors mainly when gaming, it can be either the GPU or the PSU as the primary culprits. If the PSU you have is questionable, do you have the budget to explore replacing that also especially if it is of poor quality anyway?

As long as the CPU meets some lower thresholds, the GPU makes the biggest impact on gaming based on resolutions. Your CPU meets those thresholds even before OC'ing. At 1920x1080, the 5770 is what I'd consider minimum to run at any kind of higher settings. If you're an extreme casual gamer or don't care about how it looks, then a 4850 or 9800GT works too.
March 14, 2010 7:09:01 PM

Okay, I'll OC the CPU soon and report back with results.
However I just had a BSOD, while gaming but not during a very gfx heavy moment, and I got the code for it - maybe you're able to see if it is indeed my GPU that's acting up on me or if it's something else.
  1. BCCode: 124
  2. BCP1: 00000000
  3. BCP2: C2AA6028
  4. BCP3: B2000040
  5. BCP4: 00000800

is the code I get from windows crash-report.
Thanks again for the help :) 
*Edit: Yes, if it turns out it's the PSU that's the culprit I'd happily replace it.

*Edit2: Okay I clocked the FSB to 375 and ran prime95 for 13 minutes.
Core 0 failed after 4 minutes, but core 1 didn't get any error during the (short) test period. It completed 9 tests if that matters.
So what to do now, should I lower the FSB or heighten the voltage?
Temps reached 76.4c quickly, as expected I suppose, but did not rise further.

*Much later Edit3: PCWizard and Rightmark CPU Clockmark Utility show incredible differences in temperature, when one of them shows 40c the other 66c, which one to trust? Any ideas?
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 3:28:54 AM

Not sure about the crash report. Not something I dig into. Mr Google might be able to help track that down.

For the OC, you have two choices from here:
1 is up the voltage. Being you're temps are mid 70s already, I wouldn't recommend that without getting a different cooler for the CPU.

2, lower the FSB. Drop it down to 365 and try that.

I'd download HWmonitor and check that. See if it matches either of the other.
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
March 15, 2010 3:17:07 PM

Yeah, I'll lower FSB to 365, however I noticed that even with this OC the CPU load in BFBC2 was 100% on both cores, so it's almost a stress test in itself.. It's running at 30 fps in wide-landscape scenarios and upwards 75 in corridors.

If I do get a cpu cooler, are they bound to a specific socket just as CPUs or are they a little wider in terms of application (that I could use a nice cooler that fits 775 in a new computer as well with a more fitting socket)?
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 3:29:34 PM

skora said:
Not sure if this would be a plan accelerator or not, but just found this, end today though: Q9300 for $150 amir:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

They just bumped the price up to $240...what a HUGE ripoff.

Q9400s were going for $140 without rebate at Microcenter. If the OP lives near Microcenter, head over there for a huge discount on a large amount of CPUs. Either that or overclock his current CPU.

The OP needs to make sure his motherboard is compatible for 45nm CPUs though...
March 15, 2010 4:39:47 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
They just bumped the price up to $240...what a HUGE ripoff.

Q9400s were going for $140 without rebate at Microcenter. If the OP lives near Microcenter, head over there for a huge discount on a large amount of CPUs. Either that or overclock his current CPU.

The OP needs to make sure his motherboard is compatible for 45nm CPUs though...

I live in Scandinavia (Hence my odd reply times:D ) so that might be hard, however I found some reasonably cheap Q9400 here aswell.

However, what do you mean with 45nm CPUs? What is it and how do I know if my mobo is compatible?
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 7:54:49 PM

We've already linked in the mobo spec page above. Whatever CPU you're considering, just make sure its on the CPU Support list. Don't worry about the 45nm as long as its on the list. 45nm is better in terms of performance, but not all the 45nm chips are compatible with your board.

WOW, in less than 12 hours, the price shot that high!!!!! That's crazy. I have a microcenter 2.5 hours away. Maybe when its time to upgrade, I'll look to hit it.
March 16, 2010 6:13:38 PM

Ah yeah, then I understand :) 

I used HWmonitor and it's reporting bad temperatures, 50c idle 80c load(!) CPU and 60c GPU, that's very bad right?

The case is an Aegis, not sure about numbers/names, but it should have a good airflow and it's only cpu+gpu that are this hot, rest is cooled down correctly. So what to do?
Thing is, since RightMark might have been reporting incorrect values for quite some time, maybe the parts have sustained some damage/decreased lifespan?
No matter the settings on FSB now CPU temps wont drop below 50c.
Im guessing new CPU (and no more damn stockcooling, I've learned my lesson), however Im thinking of investing in a new mobo at the same time since this one has a dated socket and seems to be of poor quality.

Any ideas/input regarding what to do now?
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2010 3:12:05 AM

GPU temps are fine, those are good into the 80s. The CPU temps are high though. I wouldn't go any higher and if you can get them lower, that would be good. Being a 65nm part, they can take heat a little better than the 45nms.

I'd take the side of the case off, point a fan at it and see if the temps change with the extra forced airflow.

As for a mobo upgrade, if you're doing the CPU and mobo, I'd jump to a current platform. You could go AMD and an AM2+ mobo and reuse your ram or go for the gusto and do DDR3 ram on an AM3 board or intel on an 1156 socket board. That becomes a whole new discussion in itself.
March 17, 2010 5:17:21 PM

Okay thanks, I'll see what I can do to lower the temps until I get some new hardware.

The store Im usually using for computer needs sells these "upgrade kits" that contain a new cpu, mobo and new ram in the correct DDR number and Im thinking of:
  • Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-750 2,66GHz, Socket LGA1156, 8MB, Boxed
  • Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3, P55, Socket-1156 4xDDR3, ATX, GbLAN, USB3.0, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16
  • Crucial DDR3 1066MHz 4GB KIT, CL7, Kit w/two matched DDR3 2GB, 240pin

This should save me from having to upping the mobo any time soon, next upgrade could just be a new GPU if the need arises.

My other option is getting start by getting a new CPU cooler, that fits both 775 and 1156 and gpu (Im thinking about a 4870 for
    124$, pretty cheap. It's the 512Mb version, does that have any major impact?). This would allow me to OC the CPU without getting into these kinds of temps, while just spending a little.
    If it doesn't result in any improvement I'd buy a new mobo+cpu, but since that's more expensive maybe it's better putting that as the secondary plan?
    a b à CPUs
    March 17, 2010 10:53:29 PM

Spending a little on parts that will roll into the next system make sense if it gives you some good extra life. Not sure cooling is your issue on the BSOD, but could be a solution.

4870 is a great card. The 512 will perform well on a 1920x1080 monitor but might not have all the eyecandy on max.

An upgrade kit as a backup plan is nice. The i5 750 will last you many years. The only part of that kit I don't like is the 1066 ram. I like to see at least 1333 with CL 7 and it helps when OC'ing the i5s. But if thats the best bang for buck, its a great way to do it in one shot.
    March 19, 2010 2:02:07 PM

i also have an e6750 and a radeon 5770.

i think the reason you can't OC that cpu is because of the mobo. i have a p35-ds3 with the e6750 and easily OC'd the card to a 400fsb (3.2ghz) without having to change anything else (including vcore).

some results with 3dmark06:

1. e6750@2.67, radeon 3850 = 9,200
    2. e6750@3.20, radeon 3850 = 9,500
    3. e6750@2.67, radeon 5770 = 12,200 (33% gain over 3850 w/cpu @ 2.67)
    4. e6750@3.20, radeon 5770 = 13,800 (45% gain over 3850 @ 3.20, 13% gain over 5770 w/cpu @ 2.67)

i personally would not upgrade to that quad, but that's because my OC achieves pretty substantially better results over stock. the e6750, although people run it at 3.4-3.6 24/7, after the 3.2 OC, the positive gains of OC'ing the higher you go thereafter start diminishing quite a bit.

also, the 5770, with the best components, will score a 17,xxx on 3dmark06. so as you can see my cpu is a slight bottleneck to the 5770. for that, i would say you should get a 4850 if you were to upgrade nothing else at all and not OC your cpu. anything else and it will be too much for the rest of your system (read: a waste of money).

i have an arctic freezer 7 cooler on my cpu, and my cpu runs at about 35c idle and max load never goes above 55c. i also set my fan speeds at 40% on idle and 78% on max load. the e6750 should not go above 70c and 60c is the max i would allow it to reach personally. if it's at 76.4c you are in trouble. turn it off and reset it to stock speed. core temp and hwmonitor are usually very accurate. if they read the same thing, they are correct. if they read the wrong thing, go with core temp's readings.
    March 19, 2010 9:02:22 PM

skora said:
    Spending a little on parts that will roll into the next system make sense if it gives you some good extra life. Not sure cooling is your issue on the BSOD, but could be a solution.

4870 is a great card. The 512 will perform well on a 1920x1080 monitor but might not have all the eyecandy on max.

An upgrade kit as a backup plan is nice. The i5 750 will last you many years. The only part of that kit I don't like is the 1066 ram. I like to see at least 1333 with CL 7 and it helps when OC'ing the i5s. But if thats the best bang for buck, its a great way to do it in one shot.

The BSODS have for some reason gone away, not sure what caused them, oh well - who knows :)  I've put much thought into this and really cannot make up my mind and I'm starting to think that my processor is the major bottleneck in this current setup, at least for battlefield: bc2.

I found that picking the parts my self in the upgrade kit was a lot cheaper, so far Im thinking:
  • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (P55, Socket-1156 4xDDR3, ATX, GbLAN, 4phase power, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16)
  • Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-750 Quad Core, 2.66Ghz, Socket 1156, 8MB, 95W, Boxed w/fan
  • Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1600MHz 4GB Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 DHX, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i3/i5/i7, w/Fan& Connector, 1.65v
    I know I could fit in more ram, but considering my budget at the moment, since, if I buy this Im putting a GPU on hold for awhile (even more so if I get extra ram) + my 32bit OS cant even handle 4gb + GPU anyway so it'd just be a waste anyway.
    Is there anything you'd want to point out in this setup?
    Any recommendations about a cheap, moderately silent (about the noise levels of a 5770 I suppose) CPU cooler?

*Edit: Totally missed Tuffluck's excellent reply, so I'll edit in an answer.
    Yes your results are nice and lets you pass on a cpu upgrade, but since my mobo is a piece of trash, as expected, Im not really feeling like getting a NEW 775 socket mobo which is being phased out, I'd rather get a 1156 for the future.
    Any comments on the mobo I picked out, is it reasonable good for OC'ing?
    And yes, stock cooling + OCing is a stupid idea, as I've learnt :) 
    a b à CPUs
    March 19, 2010 10:01:18 PM

The GA-P55-UD3 is a very good board, but not a world class overclocker. Slightly older, it has the infamous FOXCONN sockets, but as long as you don't push the CPU past 1.4 V (and you shouldn't need too), it will be fine. The 4+2 phase power might be limiting, but at least the MOSFETS have nice big heat sinks.

I think It should be reasonably good and if you are getting a good deal (~$100 for it) get it.
    a b à CPUs
    March 20, 2010 6:04:52 PM

The Asrock is probably a better choice. It has 8+2 phase power and I think the Asrock has better OC'ing utilities. Asrock is a Asus value brand, but I haven't heard they are of any less quality.

I don't think you could go very wrong with either.
    March 20, 2010 7:33:31 PM

Stardude82 said:
    The Asrock is probably a better choice. It has 8+2 phase power and I think the Asrock has better OC'ing utilities. Asrock is a Asus value brand, but I haven't heard they are of any less quality.

I don't think you could go very wrong with either.

Mkay, thanks.

Also, any tips on a solid cooler for the i5 750?
    Good money-to-efficiency value preferably :) 
    !