Nadosin

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hello, my computer has recently started to make a humming noise and I'm not sure what exactly is causing it but I'm putting my money on HDD because I've had it for many years and haven't replaced it with a new one. I've checked all the fans for dust/dirt etc and they all seem to be clean, my PSU is rather new got it 1 month ago so I doubt its that, also I've tried removing GPU but got the same noise. Now, the noise usually doesnt start very loud but elevates in pitch and volume the longer the PC is on, and 'spins down' once I power off my machine. How likely is it that the HDD is making this noise? Any way to test it for sure?

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Anyway to test for sure? Run your system with the side panel opened and put your head next to it?
Screws might also be loosen, the capacitors might be buzzing (only "hearing" sensitive people would notice it), 3.5mm wire might be spoiled, power to the speakers might be bad... a lot of possibilities.
Please do, check carefully before reposting.

Nadosin

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I forgot to mention the sound is definitely coming from the case, I've taken the side panel off already and tried to identify the noise but I couldnt really tell where exactly its coming from, my case is small and I'm definitely not "hearing" sensitive since otherwise I'd be able to tell the source of the noise, but since I cant and I have no idea what it is I thought I'd ask here.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
There are only very few parts that produce noise, fan from cpu, fan from graphics card, case fan and maybe, you problematic HDD.
When you hear the "weird' noise, gently put your hand onto your HDD to feel if "abnormal" clicks or "scratching". If so, please, backup immediately.

Nadosin

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Well now that you said that I think I can hear a very faint sound which resembles taping a nail against a desk, but it's very faint and I think it's coming from the side where HDD is located. Hmmm... I guess taking out the HDD out of the case and listening then will yield better results. I'll post back to let u know what I find.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Maybe you need a stethoscope? Or maybe just roll up some paper into a tube? I doubt the HD would make a continuous monotonous sound. One of my case fans makes a strange noise on startup.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Jesus, I did say back those data up immediately... I would highly recommend you not to remove the HDD from the bracket. Just order a new one and swap it (the old one) to secondary...