Which x58 mobo for my new build? Please help...

nish-ka-bibble

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Ok, I am finalizing my new rig. So far, it's a bit unexpected since I bought things in bit and pieces (which I didn't plan).

I have:

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 - Got it as a gift...the start of it all :D

CPU Cooler: I have no idea...any suggestions?

HD: Wanted Western Digital, but have been told to look at Samsung Spinpoint

Case: In Win Full Tower Case - $70 w/rebate & code

PSU: SPARKLE COMPUTER CORP Gold Class GW-EPS1250DA 1250W ATX12V - I picked this because first I got if for $250 and second I was looking towards the future, just in case. The feedback on Newegg and other places seem to be favorable compared to reading about Corsair lately with the 1000HX setting computers on fire and blowing components. Still feel like I have it's going to be too much though...

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM - For $170 with rebate? What a F-ing deal! Thinking about getting 3 more, but I've lots of problems pop up when get 12GB of RAM....any opinions?

GPU: Wanted to build a system with great Eyefinity, so I picked (but haven't bought yet) dual XFX ATI HD 5870 cards here...opinions? Price today is $683.98 for two or I can just one for now and wait for the price to come down again and get another...oh yes, the XFX has a lifetime warranty I think...

MOBO: I am stuck deciding on a motherboard, BIG TIME! I've been slaving over a month trying to decide, reading feedbacks on Newegg, etc. Between ASUS, Gigabyte and Evga, they all seem to have tons of issues. What it looks like to me is to see which company has the best customer service & has an 800 number to call I guess.

Anyway, I'd like to settle this today, so here are my choices so far and I am open to new ones:

MSI Big Bang-XPower Intel X58 LGA1366 ATX Motherboard - $239.99 AR Free Shipping! This looks interesting, but I"ve read that the audio sucks and going to the company website, there are problems littered everywhere. There is no 800 number to call them so you have to pay for the call. But the reviews on Newegg seem to be favorable, but I did read on review saying someone had problems with Left4dead, which is one of favorite games....still it looks good for the price. Other MSI boards have MAJOR problems which has me thinking I should choose another company.

EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED - $360 w/rebate. This is one hell of an expensive board and has it's fair share of problems, but at least it has a lifetime warranty, 800 phone number and a decent website. I'm kinda sold on this board just because of the service. Still I don't know much about this board, but I like the idea of good customer service. Any opinions?

I didn't like reading about the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R on Newegg lately. I know Toms recommends it, but recently the product and the service seem to be deteriorating as with ASUS. It's like a hit or miss with these and most mobo's nowadays.

Well I am frazzled trying to decide on a good board from a good company.
I kinda feel like this rig is crappy.

Any suggestions & advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

nish-ka-bibble

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Hey, feedback from the people right? Glad it's there, but it's a double edged sword too. You gotta be able to look at some of it and decide whether someone is just doing something incorrect of their part or whether it's something to be concerned about. I've found going to the companies website can be quite interesting.

Most of all though I think that from what I've read is that certain products that are delivered Fedex overnight or 2 day or picked up locally have a much higher chance of working. Anything that is shipped free by UPS ground takes a 50-50 chance that it's going to work. But that probably revolves around items like are more sensitive like HD's, motherboards, monitors, etc. But usually when computer parts are picked up locally or are expressed seem to usually work better.

Of course, I may be just talking out of my butt ;-)

Right, but check this article.

And nVidia don't have eyefinity but have CUDA and PhysX that ATI doesn't have. I'm not saying that nVidia is ur best option right now just bear in mind that with the same price of the 5870 or a little more u can get 2xGTX460 that can defeat a GTX480 and 5870 without problems.

Just depends of what u want. If after the read the article u still more comfortable with the 5870 go with it since is a solid a very good GPU.