Athlon 2400+ hitting 73C !! Help !!

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Hi.

My PC had gathered dust so I disassembled it and cleaned it. I've done this before. I removed the CPU Fan, separated the fan and the heatsink and cleaned it too. After I put it back, I noticed that the fan runs on high speed most of the time, earlier it used to do the same rarely. I used a temperature sensing program and it says my CPU's going at 73 celsius.

I'm using no heavy app, only uTorrent in the background. HELP !!! CPU usage is also hovering around at 2-4%. So no stress on the chip.

Solution
That's generally how it works. Sometimes you can get better airflow by reversing the fan on the CPU Heatsink which will pull air upwards. Just depends on your case ventilation. Now you did put on new thermal paste right? If not, then do so. Every time I remove the heatsink on my old Athlon 3000+ I'm worried about cracking the core. Glad they added the heat spreader on the 64s :D.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Buy that thermal greese thingy ... I think it's called artic silver.

Remove the heatsync without stabbing the motherboard with a screwdriver (I Hate Socket A heatsyncs)

Clean off the dried stuff from the cpu and the heat sync.

Apply the new thermal paste.

It is also possible that the cpu is just slowly ending it's life.

The pc I built for my dad is an AthlonXP 2800 and it idles at 60 degrees... thank god all he does is firefox for max an hour then turns it off.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Er...I reassembled the fans. And now everything's fine. Dunno what happened. It's still cruising at around 65, though thankfully, no bugging high fan speed. But I don't think I've seen it go below that.

My final question :-

My CPU fan is blowing the air towards the CPU and it's coming out from heatsink fins. And the auxiliary fan on the cabinet is blowing air outwards. Is that alright ? In case it is, please consider the thread closed. If not, let me know that please.

Thanks for the help btw...:)

That's generally how it works. Sometimes you can get better airflow by reversing the fan on the CPU Heatsink which will pull air upwards. Just depends on your case ventilation. Now you did put on new thermal paste right? If not, then do so. Every time I remove the heatsink on my old Athlon 3000+ I'm worried about cracking the core. Glad they added the heat spreader on the 64s :D.

Solution