HELP gigabyte motherboard no power to fans or psu

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Just purchase a Gigabyte ga-ma785gm-us2h mother board and it won't fire. My HP computer running an Athlon X2 5200+ started giving me blue screens in XP Pro with memory dump error messages. Talk to my computer guy he felt it was bad memory so I replaced ram, it continued. My computer guy then said its probably a memory controller on the mobo. Purchased new mobo above, no fans, lights etc. Purchased new power supply because of note in mobo manual saying have a 500 watt power supply as anything lower may not fire the board....purchased 600w power supply....still nothing. Tried a new mother board....still nothing?

Any thoughts?

Solution
It my be hd(install new hd +fresh windows install),before you install,choose if you want AHCI,RAID or IDE,make proper changes in bios

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
The PSU was DOA, got a new one and everything fires up but still getting blue screens saying the computer shut down to prevent hardware damage and that I should remove any new hardware and to run chckdsk /f . When the blue screens started appearing I ran chkdsk /f numerous times and it still continued. Now the machine won't run long enough to run chkdsk /f. I'm thinking I have a bad hard disk or the CPU is bad(memory controller?). I also ran virus scans multiple times...any chance its a virus?

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
NEW Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H MB, AMD Anthlon X2 5200+, two gigs ram (4 sticks 512mb PC2-5300 CL5, CD-RW, 320mb Seagate 7200 rpm, new 500w cooler master psu.

I swapped out memory, changed mobo, new psu because the old 250w from my HP case wouldn't fire the new mobo. Now I don't think the HP mobo was bad, nor the memory because it worked in another computer. With all these new parts I'm getting the same blue screens I got before I started swapping hardware.

My gut tells me the on thing that hasn't been changed out is the hard drive, and the CPU. I'm going to try a different hard drive with XP Pro and see what happens. What I'm reading is I may need to run the recovery console in XP...but have to find the disk at my office..

Even though I don't think I needed a new mobo, this one has raid and if I had raid on the old setup this wouldn't be happening unless this is a virus that would attack both drives in raid???? My gut tells me there is a hard drive issue. But since there are no memory controllers on the board, it might be a cpu issue? But I doubt it???

Am I making sense? Please give me your input.

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I used the same memory when I tried a different drive (XP Pro sp2) and it was fine....would it jinx the other drive with SP Pro sp3 because of the memory? I assumed that if the memory worked the hard drive shouldn't be having a problem?

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Man what a pain in the APRON! I spent 30 minutes with tech support at Gigabyte today and finally gave up...I've abandoned trying to set up Raid 1....all I want to do is just load an OS and can't because my XP Pro disc at home didn't have a service pack so there are no SATA drivers and floppy isn't recognizing the drivers on it. This is lovely...three weeks and counting. But just about 15 minutes ago I found three XP Pro discs in my office with SP1! Lets hope that has the driver for SATA.

The only good thing I can say so far about the Gigabyte mobo is the Anthlon X3 440 unlocked to show a Phenom X4. Now if I could just get the OS to load. I've built 12-15 computers and never had this many issues.

tomb56

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Wow...cant even get a good load of XP Pro sp1, or XP home sp2...BSOD's, missing files corupt files??? Absolutely never had these problems before.

I have tried an XP Pro disc with no service packs, didn't finish install.
Tried a Dell XP Pro disc SP1, SP1a, didn't finish install
Tried XP home SP 2, wouldn't finish install???

Trying to find my sons Win 7 Ultimate disc just to see if any OS will load? What garbage! Again I have used these discs on a lot of computers to load and reload OS....this one is obviously the newest one, should this be happening?