Can I OC SB/IB and keep power-save functions?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I am considering upgrading to an Intel CPU and overclocking. I have been watching MB's and CPU's for deals, and they keep getting more and more tempting...

My OC experience is only with AMD (AthlonII, PhenomII, and FX) and I have managed to keep the power saving functions on all my OC's.

I checked the Intel OC guide and it says to disable the power-save stuff, just like the AMD guides.

Is that part of the process optional, like it is for AMD overclocking?

Solution
Yes, you absolutely can leave all power saving features enabled, and I do, personally (along with using Offsets for voltage to let the voltage drop at idle).

I think the reason the guides say to disable them is because they're guides for a solid 24/7 OC and for stability reasons.

Most people don't NEED a solid full speed OC anyway, and my own experience tells me that instability isn't a problem either.

Go ahead and leave SpeedStep and C-States enabled (and use offsets, too), since it saves a bit of power and creates less heat. Then you can do what I do when I want/need the full speed of my OC and use the High Performance power profile in Windows to keep it at max speed when you need it and then put it back to Balanced when you...
Yes, you absolutely can leave all power saving features enabled, and I do, personally (along with using Offsets for voltage to let the voltage drop at idle).

I think the reason the guides say to disable them is because they're guides for a solid 24/7 OC and for stability reasons.

Most people don't NEED a solid full speed OC anyway, and my own experience tells me that instability isn't a problem either.

Go ahead and leave SpeedStep and C-States enabled (and use offsets, too), since it saves a bit of power and creates less heat. Then you can do what I do when I want/need the full speed of my OC and use the High Performance power profile in Windows to keep it at max speed when you need it and then put it back to Balanced when you don't.

Solution