1 stick of RAM vs. @ sticks

spuchie09

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
hey im trying to decide on what RAM is going to run my new build faster. 1 stick of 4GB DDR3 or 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3, the 4gb stick is a lot more expensive and i don't know if i would ever buy another one to boost my pc to 8 GB total. So which do you guys think is better? 2x2gb? or 1x4gb?

The 2x2GB setup is the way to go. You get dual channel RAM operation that way. You'll just get single channel with an expensive single stick of RAM.

What are the specs of this new build? Have you already bought all the other parts. You might want to post the specs so we can look it over and optimize it to your intended use. See the "How to ask for new build advice" sticky at the top of the forum.

If you are running an AMD or Intel LGA 1156 system, use two sticks of RAM.
If you are running an Intel 1366 platform, use three sticks of RAM.

A quick easy to tell how many sticks you should use.
Look where the RAM goes on your motherboard.
You should see either 4 or 6 slots with alternating color.
Fill all the slots from one of the colors for best performance.

spuchie09

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
i have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, AMD phenome II x4 965 (3.4 Ghz) 850w psu seagate 500gb HD, and an HP optical drive. Still need RAM, OS, and Graphics card. Thinkin bout going to the Radeon 4890. what do you guys think? thanks for the help and the critisism on the thread zipszoomflyhigh.

2x2 GB sticks. And I could make another joke about proofreading, but I won't.

My personal favorite recommendation is the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 set for $105 (they hiked the price today). Windows 7 will also cost you $100.

With that $205 gone, what's left in the budget for the GPU? I'd really like to recommend one of the 5xxx series, but the cheaper one (5770 for $155) is not as powerful as the 4890, but certainly more future proof. The best gaming GPU with a reasonable price tag is the 5850 ($300ish)

spuchie09

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
i think im going to stick with either the 4890 or 4870, they are both 1gb ddr5 256-bit, the other 5XXX ones that you sugested were cheaper but they were only 128-bit. i don't think i am going to crossfire either. my first build and i don't want to over-complicate things. Thanks for your help and i hope there is not spelling errors in this reply.