Help with Gigabyte GA P55 Motherboard Build

webucated

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hello, I just built a new computer using a Gigabyte P55 A UD3 motherboard, but it doesn't seem to work well with my old Seagate Barracuda hard drive and OS. The bios and Windows screen will start to load, but then it will flash a blue screen and shut down on me before Windows can fully load. I'm still running Windows XP on the old Sata drive, and it was working fine in my old machine just a day ago. I've double and triple checked all connections and things that I thought could be the cause, but still no luck. I'm trying to avoid having to wipe the drive, lose my data, and reinstall a new OS.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
You could reconnect the old hard drive back into the old computer boot up into Windows XP and attempt to install the chipset drivers for the new motherboard if the setup program of the new motherboard's driver allows it. If you are successful in installing the new drivers you then move the old hard disk drive to the new computer and attempt to boot from it.

The bootup of Windows XP in the new system should find the new device driver for the new motherboard and use those to complete its bootup.
Is the chipset on your old motherboard the same as the Intel P55 Express chipset on your new motherboard?

When you initially installed Windows XP for the old motherboard the device drivers that were installed would support the chipset that is on the old motherboard.

If you didn't install the device drivers for the Intel P55 Express chipset that is on your new motherboard before moving/connecting the old hard drive to the new motherboard you will experience the problems you are having.

webucated

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for the reply ko888, the chipset is different on the new motherboard, could this be the reason why it doesn't want to boot up? (I upgraded from an old Intel Pentium 4 chip to an Intel i5 750)

I'm also thinking that Windows XP might think I'm trying to install the OS on a new computer since it doesn't recognize the motherboard/hardware and shuts down during the boot process, but I couldn't find my old XP install disk to try and troubleshoot/reinstall.

Over the weekend I actually broke down and went to Frys to purchase a new hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, and my machine is now running smoooooth. I can reference my old drive for storage, but still can't boot from it as a master, oh well.

webucated

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
thanks for confirming ko, is there any fix/workaround for this issue w/o having to go through more trouble than it's worth, or should I just plan to wipe the old OS & programs on my old drive, and use it for extra storage?

thanks.

You could reconnect the old hard drive back into the old computer boot up into Windows XP and attempt to install the chipset drivers for the new motherboard if the setup program of the new motherboard's driver allows it. If you are successful in installing the new drivers you then move the old hard disk drive to the new computer and attempt to boot from it.

The bootup of Windows XP in the new system should find the new device driver for the new motherboard and use those to complete its bootup.

Solution

webucated

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
thanks for the additional details ko, since I used most of my old computer parts to build my new one (minus the motherboard and CPU), it's probably more trouble than it's worth to try and reassemble just to salvage the hard drive & OS.

I appreciate the recommendations and will keep this in mind in the future, but for now I think I'll stick with my new drive and Windows 7 installation, and plan to find/reinstall the apps from my old drive.

Thanks again for the help.