I7 920 using the bundled fan - good or bad idea?

greasy dave

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hi,

I'm pricing and planning for a new pc (purely gaming). I'm based in Czech so my budget doesn't really translate into West Europe terms, but its about 1000 Euros. Not planning on overclocking (at this initial satge anyway - but I will crossfire in the future)

Both an i5 750 or X4 955 build, coupled with an HD 5850 comes in nicely under the budget limit. And I was thinking of bulding one of these two systems.

Then I came across this old article:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i7-overclock,review-31478.html

Where they built an i7 system using the generic fan. Checked out the pricing of a similarish system and "bingo" it comes in under the budget limit.
This is the build:

i7 920
ASUS 1366 P6T
samsung spinpoint f3 500 GB
antec gamer three hundred
corsair tx 750W
Saphire HD 5850
generic RAM 3x 2GB DDR 3 1600 Mhz :
http://www.alza.cz/zeppelin-6gb-kit-ddr3-1600mhz-d119958.htm

I can spend fifty more dollars and get some OCZ gold edition DDR 3 RAM...

Anyway, is the system going to drastically overheat? They didn't write about such problems in the Tom's review. PLus I'm not planning on overclocking in the near future.

Second question, how easy is it changing fans - I've only built one pc and that was five years ago and I remember the fight getting the fan onto the CPU being the scariest part -I was convinced that I was seriously trashing the CPU when trying to get the thing pressed into place. I didn't trash it, it runs fine...but I'm not sure how much of a good idea would be to take out the bundled fan and fit a new one in, in a couple of months time when budgets allow?

Third question, came across this combo build on the internet, and I know the hard drive, RAM and power supply, all seem to be generic brands - but even buying those components separately and putting the build together myself, I can't beat the price. . . .how much does the build suck?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-Core-i7-920-ATI-HD-5850-1GB-6GB-DDR3-RAM-1600_W0QQitemZ160370911546QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item2556d9e93a

Thanks in advance

The unknown power supply and HDD are the biggest issues. If the PSU is stable and the HDD is good then it will be a good system.

The i7s stock fan is fine if you are not overclocking and your case has decent airflow.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Stock cooler will be sufficient for cooling if you are not OCing.
Thats why they are included with the processors.

Don't rely on that Generic PSU.They can harm your RIG.
Get a Corsair 550VX.That will suffice.

RAM will be fine but dunno how it will OC.

PSU and HD are the biggest problem. 36 euros ($65 - $70) is really cheap for a 750 watt PSU. Cannot find any specs on the PSU. One of the sites I looked at when I tried to find PSU specs was selling a 500 watt Seasonic (admittedly an excellent brand) for 50% more.

HD? No brand or part numbers. If it's a "green" model, it will be slow for your gaming purposes. If it is a Seagate 7200.11, because of firmware problems with that series, you run a higher chance of premature drive failure.

You can do better building the PC yourself.

greasy dave

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Great thanks for the replies.

I'll probably build the rig myself.

I was thinking of building the system with the bundled fan now, and a little later, when I get some more money buying a better fan and trying to OC.

How difficult is it to change fans, what are the risks of incurring damage to the chip?

shubham1401

Distinguished
Changing the fan is not difficult.
At first I was also scared of changing those push-pin fans bt after a little practice it seems an easy job.

Get it done by some experienced person.
BTW you can get it assembled at the market.They take some money.

The fan was supplied by the people who build and warranty the processor, right?
So one would have to believe that unless they want to be replacing an awful lot of processors, the fan they send in the package would be quite sufficient to do the job.
Now if you plan on overclocking, your warranty is kaput anyway.