Sign in with
Your question

Possible System Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2010 5:55:29 PM

So I've this set up for around 1.5 years and was thinking with Supreme commander 2 and other interesting RTS and FPS games coming out this year if I should begin to think about upgrading any parts , this is my set-up.

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Hard Drive: 500 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 1GB Series
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
Computer Case: Antec 900.

I was thinking about updating from XP > Windows 7 , but is it really worth it ?
and is there any hardware thats worth upgrading or is it sound until next year ?

More about : system upgrade

January 6, 2010 6:06:40 PM

It might be worth it, becaouse most games nowadays are being optimized for win 7 and vista. Windows 7 also supports dx 10 which you can use with your graphics card which gives you some pretty nice features for most games. But other than those features I wouldnt recommend it YET it uses more processing, ram and graphics processing than XP.

You dont need to upgrade your rig yet, everything seems to be slightly up to date. All games should run at high settings with a decent framerate though it wont last forever. You should upgrade when your computer cant handle games below medium settings or when the OS is running slowly. If you are planning on upgrading go for the CPU first, the CPU is slightly less powerfull than the rest of the computer.

Erik Jansson
January 6, 2010 6:16:48 PM

Thanks erikjansson for the fast reply.
I can see why I would need to upgrade my CPU , but could I just overclock it as I have a Artic freezer pro 7 , but what would be a safe speed to overclock it at ?

I think I will get around to upgrading to windows 7 next year (might ask for it this christmas ha).
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 6:28:33 PM

The hardware is not worth upgrading unless you have a specific need. Overclocking the CPU would give you a boost for not much money.

Does your bios say you have 4GB RAM? That would be my guess, and because you have XP and a 1GB graphics card it can only use 3GB. If thats the case then going to windows 7 64bit would give you access to the 4th GB of RAM.

Do you know which 4800 series graphics card model you have? (4830, 4850, 4870 or 4890)?
January 6, 2010 7:34:38 PM

Yea i have 4 GB of RAm , My Graphics card is the 4850 , I tried to edit it in but kept getting a error , and thats another reason to get win 7 is well.
January 7, 2010 4:13:52 PM

mcsandvich said:
Thanks erikjansson for the fast reply.
I can see why I would need to upgrade my CPU , but could I just overclock it as I have a Artic freezer pro 7 , but what would be a safe speed to overclock it at ?

I think I will get around to upgrading to windows 7 next year (might ask for it this christmas ha).

It isnt worth to buy a new CPU which has a socket 775. If you are going to upgrade you would have to get a socket 1156 mobo and a socket 1156 CPU which is i5 or i7. You computer will last 1 year(maybe more) before you cant play any games on that system. So you can use it till then and then upgrade you comp.
Well if you are planning to overclock you must have a decent cooler which is you case the Artic Freezer Pro 7 should be enough. But before check you temps if they are 20-30(40) you should be able to overclock quite much but if its over like 60+ i dont recommend the system might become unstable after overclocking(it might come up to 80-90C!!!). When overclocking you should never jump from 2.2Ghz to 2.8(example) that might cause system errors. But I am not an overclocking expert. You sould ask ppl at the overclocking forum here at toms hardware. They should know safe clocks.

But from my experience here is what I do when I overclock:

*Go to BIOS(Check if you Motherboard supports overclocking) if not there are tons of programs you can download.
*In BIOS add more 0,2 or a little more(like 0,3 not more than that) then save and restart
*See in BIOS the temps see if they are stable(90+ usually are unstable temps but I dont recommend temps over 75-80)
*If everything is alright launch windows and run some common programs u use and se if you dont get any errors or problems
*If you got a problem for example a common one is when you are launching windows you get a BSOD, if you get one then go back to BIOS and change the clock speed where it was stable
*If you successfully clocked with no problems go to bios again and loop the instructions up ahead always adding 0,2-0,3. Now I wouldnt recommend going above 3,0ghz in your case.

*Note:If you cant even get to BIOS just open the computer and take the lithium battery(The round battery usually used for clocks but much larger) and just put it back in that should clear the BIOS and stock clocks.

Well good overclocking!!!
January 7, 2010 5:09:25 PM

Thanks erikjansson , you've been very helpful , will make sure I save all this for next year and start planning ahead.

Thanks again.
!