Your question
Solved

Is this looks good for my dad?

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2010 5:57:49 PM

http://i45.tinypic.com/6f6rdg.jpg

first 6 I'm ordering is from directcanada.com
and last one is from ncix.com

total is $524 plus tax and shipping, but minus 30$ for MIR.
If there is any way to save money, let me know. Obviously it has to be able to to Canada.
Quad core and 4GB is necessary, since it's more future proof.
Thanks in advance.

More about : good dad

January 6, 2010 6:13:05 PM

Whats your plan for graphics? I don't see a video card listed, and the 770 boards don't have integrated...
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:15:04 PM

Oh I have crap 8500GT 512 lying around. My dad isn't really a gamer, but I wanted him to get a PC that would last several years without upgrading.
My dad's current one just died. It lasted 7 years.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 6, 2010 6:20:22 PM

Ditch the WD HDD and grab a Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's cheaper and all around better. If you can't find an F3 (they're not as available in Canada for some reason), the Seagate 7200.12 is the next best thing.

There are usually some G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks for $105 on Newegg.ca. These would be better than those OCZ sticks, not to mention cheaper.

What's the build for? If it's gaming, you should stick in an HD 5770 (usually $145 US). If not, get an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO ($115 Can on Newegg.ca). It's got integrated graphics, and is an excellent board.
January 6, 2010 6:35:17 PM

Samsung spinpoint F3 is not available and I've heard that Seagate HDD failing, while WD is known reliable. Are they really worth it?
Thanks for the heads up on the ram. But I also heard that Newegg canada has bad shipping thing as well. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:42:01 PM

Yes. That was true in the past. Seagate's last set was horrible. However, they have exorcised their demons, and have put out an excellent drive. It's WD now that has some catching up to do...

I have no idea on the shipping. You don't have to buy it from Newegg, but you should look around. It also doesn't have to be G.Skill. You really just want the CAS Latency 7 sticks.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:43:54 PM

jtpd said:
Oh I have crap 8500GT 512 lying around. My dad isn't really a gamer, but I wanted him to get a PC that would last several years without upgrading.
My dad's current one just died. It lasted 7 years.

Understood, you just hadn't listed one so I wanted to make sure you didn't order and find yourself.... lacking when your parts come in :)  strange that the F3's aren't available. They're missing on the CA side of newegg also.
I always read that the WD green drives are slow, on the other hand I'm using one (limited local selection in HI and didn't have time/money for shipping) and while I can tell its slower, its not enough that I care, so IMO it probably will not bother your dad.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:44:23 PM

Where do you live? If you live near Ottawa/Montreal there's a place called pccyber (see www.pccyber.com) that is great. I believe they also do shipping across Canada, and can make a special order for you. They can get you the 500GB F3 for <$60 (not including shipping).
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:48:47 PM

I'm trying to order for these two sites only since directcanada has free shipping and ncix since I'm ordering HDD from them. (Changed 1TB to 500GB to save money) directcanada didn't have much HDD to choose from, and they didn't have much ram to choose from either so I went to ncix for those two. I'm trying to order from these two companies only, and the ram that I picked has 20$ MIR, and I don't know much about latency. Is that 7 Latency really make huge difference?
Thanks, sorry if I sound annoying.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:51:43 PM

@Kiren : Yeah, unfortunately Samsung spinpoints are rare in here. at least that's what I think. thanks for the warning though.

@mavanhel : I live in Vancouver, Canada. thanks the heads up. If they have the good ram as well, I'll order from there instead from ncix.com.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:55:20 PM

@mavanhel : I don't see latest spinpoint there, and ram is more expansive there as well. How do I special order?
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:57:49 PM

On CL 7: If it's the same price, then yes. If it's more than $5 more expensive, probably no.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:00:15 PM

Well, I have one down the road from me and they did the special order there. I'm sure if you called them they could hook you up with something. Just make sure you tell them that it's Samsung F3 Spinpoint HD502HJ. Anyways, it's time for me to leave work and Tom's doesn't seem to cooperate well with my computer at home so I'll see if I can't help you anymore tomorrow (unless you have everything figured by then. Goodluck.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:06:09 PM

@MadAdmiral : I see. I see this ram 1333 mhz PC10666 clocked at 7-7-7-20 and 1600mhz PC12800 clocked at 8-8-8-24 and I thought higher mhz = better? Or is timing more important then that? Because if it is, then I'll order 1333mhz one since it's cheaper than 1600mhz one. also, OCZ is not reputable? I heard they were reliable with lifetime warranty.
Thanks again.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:10:51 PM

jtpd said:
@MadAdmiral : I see. I see this ram 1333 mhz PC10666 clocked at 7-7-7-20 and 1600mhz PC12800 clocked at 8-8-8-24 and I thought higher mhz = better? Or is timing more important then that? Because if it is, then I'll order 1333mhz one since it's cheaper than 1600mhz one. also, OCZ is not reputable? I heard they were reliable with lifetime warranty.
Thanks again.

Timings are more important than MHz, when RAM is concerned. You will be better off with the G.SKILL RAM. OCZ is a very good manufacturer of RAM, so you have no worries if you go down that route.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:11:55 PM

@mavanhel : I do appreciate your concern but I think I'll just older WD black, instead of green. I just saw black had 5 year warranty while caviar green and seagates and spinpoints had 3 years.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:12:22 PM

Timing is slightly more important. There is very little noticable difference between 1333 mhz and 1600 mhz sticks.

OCZ is reliable, but so is G.Skill.

Someone posted an article in another thread (that I can't find right now) about how G.Skill won 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th place in an overclocking competition. So I would say that despite not being that well known, G.Skill is by far the best.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:14:16 PM

@tecmo34 : oh I see. I will order the cheaper 7-7-7-20 ram instead of other one. Thanks.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:15:03 PM

@MadAdmiral and Kiren : Thanks. Thank god I asked you guys :D 
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:29:59 PM

Your final build looks good
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:41:39 PM

@tecmo34 : great. Btw, do I need thermal compound? I just saw your step-by-step guide to building PC and it was very similar to this. don't CPU come with one or did you put it there because you ordered separate HSF?
m
l
January 6, 2010 8:30:15 PM

If you are not using an aftermarket HSF, you don't need thermal compound. The stock CPU fan will come with general compound, which will suit your Dad's needs.
m
l
January 6, 2010 8:37:13 PM

@tecmo34 : done and done. all of them all ordered. thanks again.
m
l
!