Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD just for Win7

Last response: in Storage
December 25, 2011 2:55:24 PM

hi... so lately i just bought myself a corsair GT sata III solid state drive and i currently have about 220gb used in my c:D rive i have right now how do i move or clone win7 into my corsair GT sata III and leave everything else on without losing my win7 genuine because mines an oem do i require a external hard drive?
thank you

specs:
seagate barracuda 500gb (X2)
HIS 6850 (x2)
AMD Phenom x2 II 3.3ghz
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
patriot 2x4gb ram

More about : ssd win7

December 25, 2011 3:00:19 PM

there is norton ghost
m
l
December 25, 2011 3:02:52 PM

bestlink101 said:
there is norton ghost

dont really wanna buy it :/ 
also i kinda need a step to step i have no idea about hard drives
m
l
Related resources
a c 318 G Storage
December 25, 2011 3:03:17 PM

If your current C drive takes less space than the ssd has available, you can clone it to the ssd using Ghost 15 "copy my drive." Here is the way I do it (always works fine):

First make the destination drive unallocated by deleting all drive partitions in
disc management (under system management, administrative management control panel)

Create the SPR partition first and then the C: partition with these options:

The Ghost options for SRP (system reserve partition) are:

Set Drive Active (for booting OS)

Copy MBR

Destination partition type: Primary

Drive letter of None

Then do the C drive with these Ghost options selected:

Resize drive to fill unallocated space (if you want to)

Drive letter of None

Don't Disable SmartSector copying for either
m
l
a c 318 G Storage
December 25, 2011 3:09:12 PM

lolzxdrofl said:
dont really wanna buy it :/ 
also i kinda need a step to step i have no idea about hard drives

There are freeware drive cloning apps, but I can't give you detailed instructions as I don't use them. Ghost is nice to clone your ssd periodically to an external backup sitting in a hdd dock as a backup.

In any case before you clone make a Win 7 repair disk using the "creating a system repair disc" wizard -- just type that into the search box in the start button -- makes it much easier start up on the cloned copy.
m
l
December 25, 2011 3:13:34 PM

RealBeast said:
If your current C drive takes less space than the ssd has available, you can clone it to the ssd using Ghost 15 "copy my drive." Here is the way I do it (always works fine):

First make the destination drive unallocated by deleting all drive partitions in
disc management (under system management, administrative management control panel)

Create the SPR partition first and then the C: partition with these options:

The Ghost options for SRP (system reserve partition) are:

Set Drive Active (for booting OS)

Copy MBR

Drive letter of None

Then do the C drive with these Ghost options selected:

Resize drive to fill unallocated space (if you want to)

Drive letter of None

Don't Disable SmartSector copying for either

thanks for you're reply but my corsair GT has 60gb... and my current c drive has 221gb like i said above so my current c drive as almost 4 times more then my ssd.
also is there a free method im kinda broke
m
l
a c 318 G Storage
December 25, 2011 5:53:37 PM

lolzxdrofl said:
thanks for you're reply but my corsair GT has 60gb... and my current c drive has 221gb like i said above so my current c drive as almost 4 times more then my ssd.
also is there a free method im kinda broke

You can't really move Win 7, but this thread has your best solution.
m
l
December 25, 2011 6:24:54 PM

RealBeast said:
You can't really move Win 7, but this thread has your best solution.

thanks this really helped but i have oem so if i do this will i lose win7 would it still be genuine?
m
l

Best solution

a c 318 G Storage
December 25, 2011 6:38:58 PM

lolzxdrofl said:
thanks this really helped but i have oem so if i do this will i lose win7 would it still be genuine?

Microsoft allows re-installation of OEM Windows 7 on the same machine for something like a hdd change. You should have recovery media, i.e. a dvd, and a serial number -- possibly on a tag on the machine. If it will not online activate, you can contact MS and they will allow it to do so.

Here is Microsoft's license information for rebuilds using OEM software:

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."
December 25, 2011 7:21:06 PM

RealBeast said:
Microsoft allows re-installation of OEM Windows 7 on the same machine for something like a hdd change. You should have recovery media, i.e. a dvd, and a serial number -- possibly on a tag on the machine. If it will not online activate, you can contact MS and they will allow it to do so.

Here is Microsoft's license information for rebuilds using OEM software:

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

Thank you for you're help its really appreciated.
m
l
December 25, 2011 7:21:17 PM

Best answer selected by lolzxdrofl.
m
l
!