Con Donovan

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Have celron D installed ... latest bios & drivers ... local shop sold me E5400 2.7 - 800MHz with 1x1 cache as a compatible P4D CPU for upgrade ... just get a black screen & no beeps on power up ... any suggestions or is this CPU not compatible ? - As yet can't find any answers or support for CPU manufactured long after board discontinued ...

cheers to the clever answer that fixes this ... else will track down a suitable i950 at 3.4GHz - 800Mhz with 2x2 cache as this is the last documented CPU listed by Intel

D

Deleted member 217926

Well the guys at your local shop didnt do their research. http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865gsa/

The 865 chipset was for the very first generation LGA775 chips. Pentium 4 5xx and 6xx series Pentium D 8xx and maybe 9xx series and Celeron Ds. No E5400 or any other E anything will work with that board. And as said above no i950 I think you mean Pentium D950. I am not even sure Pentium D 9xx series will work with this board to tell you the truth. The 865 was replaced by the 915 chipset and even 945 all before Core2Duo. The Pentium D 8xx series will work for sure though.

All that being said it is a waste to really put any money in this thing. Upgrade to something newer if you can. If not then try to keep it as cheap as you can would be my advice.

Edit: I looked at the support list and it does support Pentium D 9xx series. And as I am sure you had figured out that list is most powerful at top to least powerful at bottom.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gsa/sb/CS-025902.htm

Con Donovan

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks all ...

I took the E5400 back ... and got the top 945 processor with the 4Mb shared cache structure off e-bay (couldn't find the 950 with 2x2 cache structure) ... the rest of the PC spec is quite respectable with 2GB RAM, 500Mb 7200rpm SATA HDD with secondary 40Gb 7200rpm PATA HDD dedicated to temporary files and virtual memory to minimise thrashing of primary HDD, SATA DVD Multi, 512Mb NVidia, ADSL2 and surfs the net and does all the office application stuff fine ... installation is clean, explorer add ins clean, ... so music & video playback is clean and smooth ...

I have no real gaming need or encoding requirements so don't see much point in upping from dual core ... but it does OK with the basic stuff ... just needed the cpu to breath a couple more years into it before it becomes filtered down as kids toy ...

It just went from bottom Celeron D CPU at 533Mhz FSB to penultimate available from the Pentium 4D CPU stable at 800Mhz FSB ... a very cheap upgrade ... so I won't be wasting any more money than I just did, it will be something new next time ;-) ...

Cheers ...