Mother board Questions

I replaced a motherboard and found that the new one is 24 pin.
Would this cause my video and a few other components not to work?
Should I change the power supply to a newer one?
4 answers Last reply
More about mother board questions
  1. big-al5363 said:
    I replaced a motherboard and found that the new one is 24 pin.
    Would this cause my video and a few other components not to work?
    Should I change the power supply to a newer one?

Okay it the 4 extra pins are for a ATX standard called EPS12v which is a new form of atx12 for 'multicore' systems where four additional pins are included, an 8 pin connection is introduced for processors, and 2 additional molex are added..

So if you have a multicore processor, it would be wise to get a 24 pin power supply as the 4 extra cables (or pins) are used to give slightly more power to the system. If your using a single core system (as I suspect since the original motherboard came with a 20 pin connection, just plug it in and it'll be fine.)
  2. Should you change the PSU? Not necessarily.

System specs?
  3. The title of this topic has been edited by Mousemonkey
  4. AsAnAtheist said:
    Okay it the 4 extra pins are for a ATX standard called EPS12v which is a new form of atx12 for 'multicore' systems where four additional pins are included, an 8 pin connection is introduced for processors, and 2 additional molex are added..

So if you have a multicore processor, it would be wise to get a 24 pin power supply as the 4 extra cables (or pins) are used to give slightly more power to the system. If your using a single core system (as I suspect since the original motherboard came with a 20 pin connection, just plug it in and it'll be fine.)

Thankyou for your reply. I bought a 24 pin power supply and everything is working fine now.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Motherboards Components