Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory not recognized

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2010 11:46:33 PM

Installed two additional 2x2gb of memory with existing 2x2gb, exactly the same. Tested each individually for errors and then two and eventually all four. Read handbook and installed in allocated slots for four sticks. Only initial two are recongized. Ran memtest86, no errors. Put initial or additional ram in slots 2,4,5, or 6 and none of the ram is recognized. Only initial ram in slots allocated for 2 sticks is recognized.
Is there something I have to do to have the other four slots working or is it my memory.
This i7-920 was built. Did I forget or not connect something.

More about : memory recognized

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 1, 2010 12:13:23 AM

Help to have your MOBO part number. Two possibilities: one, you may have a bent pin in the socket - but the usual symptom is that the memory all shows up, but win marks some lower amount as 'useable'... For that problem, you can try a read of the i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory topic in the 'sticky'; two - the RAM parameters in the SPD on the DIMMs are designed for use in one DIMM per channel situations; for use with two DIMMs per channel, some changes to the RAM setup are usually required: you need to 'bump' your Vdimm a couple hundreths of a volt, you need to bump your QPI/Vtt to within a max of a half volt of your Vdimm (and I like to keep the difference around .35V, just to be sure), you need to raise your tRFC timing 10-15% higher than it's currently at, and you need to make sure that the 'command rate' is set to '2', '2T', or '2N' - whichever way your board shows it...
m
l
August 1, 2010 12:45:06 AM

what's a mobo part number? And assuming it's the later, I have no idea how to access the ram setup, let alone bump and raise the above mentioned.
Baby steps pls.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 1, 2010 12:59:26 AM

No problem, I can walk you through both the diagnosis and fix... To start out with, your board number should be somewhere between the main slots, circled in red in the picture; the one pictured is a GA-X58A-UD3R; also helpful will be the revision number, shown circled in yellow...
m
l
August 1, 2010 1:43:09 AM

oh mobo is motherboard....i have the one above and have to open for rev. # it's 1.0
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 1, 2010 2:16:05 AM

OK - first thing we want to do is an experiment - I'd like you to put in only three of the modules, into the white slots. Power up, and when you see the 'splash' screen (shown at the top of page 36 of your manual) 'peck' at the <DEL> key several times. This should get you into the BIOS, which will look like the screen shown on page 37. If you miss it the first time, simply reboot, and try again - it's sometimes a bit tricky to 'catch it', as you only have a limited 'window' of time to enter the BIOS, and these babies boot quickly!

Once you have the BIOS screen, the second adjusment we'll make is to make it a bit easier to get in, and get rid of that 'splash' screen, so you can see more of the POST (power-on self-test) as it happens. While on that first page, cursor to the "Load Optimized Defaults", and hit the enter key; it will show you a confirmation as illustrated at the bottom of page 61 - answer 'Y', and hit enter again - the screen will sort of 'flicker' as it does the load...

Now, cursor to the "Advanced BIOS Features" item, hit enter, and it should go to the screen shown on page 51; cursor down to the "Full Screen LOGO Show" item, hit enter, and select "Disabled"; now, hit the <F10> key, confirm, and it will save your changes, exit, and reboot. Look to see if you are showing 6G of RAM - if so, run a pass of MemTest...
m
l
August 2, 2010 3:24:18 AM

just got your reply, doing that now.
m
l
August 2, 2010 4:17:55 AM

after doing that and rebooting the system showed update success and 6290432?(went too fast), of memory. Was that gb? As I was setting up 12 instances of memtest86 to test the ram, the system went blue and began to dump memory. I quickly pressed the reset button and the system recovered, but not fully. It was unresponsive to my clicking or typing action. I used to task bar to restart but before I did i looked at the memory showing in performance and it shows physical memory as 3668396k, available memory as3091948 k, and fluctuating, and system cache as 548256k and fluctuating. Why the difference in memory? As compared to the post number?
Restarted two more times. System is responsive. Preparing to run memtest. How many instances should I run and how many ram per instance.
m
l
August 2, 2010 4:25:34 AM

The system is NOT responding. It's freezing.
After double clicking on a folder to access the memtest that I had downloaded, the cursor became a circle; as if loading, but nothing happened. I double clicked a second time and this time, not even a circle. I can't even access the start menu to shut down or restart. Using the task bar again.
m
l
August 2, 2010 5:03:44 AM

Rebooted; the system is responding to my actions. Post shows 6290432 k memory OK.
Began running instances of memtest at 1.5 mb per instance. After the third instance I came up with this error.
MEMTEST HAS DETECTED THAT YOUR COMPUTER CANNOT ACCURATELY STORE DATA IN RAM. YOU NEED TO FIX THIS. SEE THE ONLINE FAQ #2 (HTTP://HciDesign.com/memtest) FOR ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO NEXT.
When I click on Ok the following appears;
PAIR 50038 DOES NOT HAVE VALUES STORED ACCURATELY. When I click ok, it goes on to list many, many numbers as folows:
Copying between 60cce58 and 60ccd80 did not result in an accurate copy. Click ok and it continues to list ranges up to 7????????? and 7?????????.
There was too many to write down. As I'm clicking on the ok's, the system crashes and begins to dump memory.
Once I'm able to see my desktop, I'm going to that site. But might not make much sense to me.
m
l
August 2, 2010 6:22:47 AM

Read the above FAQ and it states this is not normal and ram is bad, unless overclocked (not) or configurations incorrect. I seem to recall the first week to week and a half after completing the build of this system. It was a nightmare. Continuously dumping memory, locking up, slow, browser issues. It was a nightmare. After spending that amount of money, I wanted to toss it out the window. I was going to take it to a technician who was going to reinstall windows. For that I thought I could do it myself. I did and the system stabilized. No more blue screens or dumping of memory or locking up. I wonder if I should try that again.
Performing a second memtest on same three modules. 10 min in and no errors. Is the ram bad or not? Shouldn't there be some consistency? Should I take the one additional ram module out and test the first two bought for errors? Maybe these are the culprits, since happened initially, or test each individually.
m
l
August 2, 2010 6:35:23 AM

one more question before hitting the sheets. How many mb in a gb?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 2:49:02 PM

1024, two to the tenth power. You mention 'instances' of MemTest? When I was talking about MemTest, I meant MemTest86+, which is self-booting, and the definitve 'last word' on memory stability... I've been working on a new memory 'sticky', and there are comprehensive downlaod and prep instructions at about the middle of Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning", as well as actual testing 'strategies' nearer the bottom. Also, which one of the performance tools are you looking at to see what memory is 'available'?

m
l
August 2, 2010 3:06:31 PM

thanx for that. Downloading memtest86 to run and powered up and system booted twice and reported as recovering from an error.
In the taks bar, there is a performance tab.
That sounds complicated.
m
l
August 2, 2010 3:19:07 PM

cant download. opened a browser, and was looking for the correct memtest86 to download, the system crashed. It restarted and remains at a black screen saying my config file is missing or corrupt. This is the exact same as when was first built. Trying to get past that.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 3:43:39 PM

I'll explain a bit: both about how I go about setting up a new system for clients (actually, 'friends of friends' - mostly, people who've seen one of my systems, and want one!), and what we're trying to determine with your setup...

The first thing I do with a new system board is to throw it on a phonebook, near enough to the case for the wires to reach, hook up the absolute 'bare essentials' - power, video/vidcard, power switch from case, and one DIMM:

Then, I attempt to boot (never gotten a bad GIGABYTE board yet! :sol:  ), enter the BIOS, and do the first "Load Optimized", to set all the 'auto' parameters in the BIOS. Assuming success, then I hook up a DVD drive, throw in a bootable copy of MemTest (and, again, when I say 'MemTest', I mean 'MemTest86+' as in the article) and run a few passes on that DIMM. Again, assuming success (and I've never gotten a bad stick from G.Skill, either! :sol:  ), I down the machine, swap out the DIMM for another, and test again, until each stick has been checked. At that point, when the last DIMM is in, and has been tested at 'regular' LoadOpt settings, I enable XMP, save and reboot again into MemTest, and run a few more passes. At his point, I have verified two things: that each DIMM is good, and that the XMP parameter set, stored on the DIMM, will work! Now, when I 'stuff 'em all in, I know that if I have problems, chances are 99% that the troubles are in my setup of the RAM [:isamuelson:8]

The reason I wanted to use three DIMMs to test first is that the info (SPD) stored on the DIMM to enable its automatic setup are, invariably, created to support a single DIMM per memory controller channel - and your board/CPU has three channels. With a DIMM on each, an 'auto' setup (LoadOpt) should work. If MemTest shows a differing amount than you've installed, the overwhelming odds say you have a bent or distorted pin in your CPU socket. For you to use four DIMMs as you intend, you will be putting two DIMMs per channel on two channels. As I mentioned, the setup info from the DIMM will usually not work. Once we confirm the DIMMs work OK, we will need to make a few adjustments to voltages and timings to accommodate this...

If anything's not clear, or you have questions, feel free to post back! [:bilbat:1]
August 2, 2010 4:44:18 PM

First, my memory is the corsair xms. My girlfriend and I did most of the setting up and I don't think we did exactly as you. The motherboard and video card was loaded first but my original video card was non-functional. Returned that and bought the diamond radeon hd 5750. Installed and loaded alot of the programs associated. All memory (2x2gb) was installed at same time and not tested individually. Had many issues, what slots in what channels and then once in correct channels, full memory not recognized. We found we had forgotten to connect a cable. As we know, the load settings were never adjusted. And the xmp is beyond me, so chances are it was not done. After everything else was placed into the coolermaster haf 920 case with the corsair h50 cpu cooler. It was booted. I thought, (never having built a system before), that it was fine. We installed windows and all programs I needed. After that, was the nightmare. Memory dumping, lost or corrupted config file, booting twice before finally settling in to the desktop for good, slow, certain usb ports not recognized, blue screens, black screens, you name it. The video card cd was installed again, hard drive was wiped twice and found that my western digital 1.5 tb green hard drive also had issues. Downloaded the western digital hard drive alignment utility and it stabilized a bit. I ruined my win cd trying to repair the config file as this was done at least 10 times. That went into the garbage and someone is making me a copy, which is what I should have done with mine and not used the original. Waiting on that cd to try to repair config file. Once that is done, I'll download the memtest86+ and try testing the memory one by one as you have. To test a single dimm, what slot should it be in? 1 or 3? I already set to load opt settings, but I need to know about the xmp. And did I have all four modules in proper slots, 1,2,3, and four, to test all four simultaneously? To see if all ram is reported correctly.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 5:24:53 PM

I'll be back in a bit... Time to reinstall my main Win7 boot partition - do it every four to six months, whether it needs it or not - and I've gotten considerably beyond that!
m
l
August 2, 2010 5:34:06 PM

so if I don't need to back track and test all individually then should I try to run a bootable memtest86+ on the three modules installed? and what about the xmp?
m
l
August 2, 2010 6:20:44 PM

downloaded two versions of memtest86+ bootable. The iso and binary files, and none are booting. System lists boot from cd/dvd twice, bypasses and goes to black screen showing missing or corrupt config file.
m
l
August 2, 2010 8:57:55 PM

this isn't gonna be done today. Still waiting on that cd and memtest won't load.
m
l
August 2, 2010 10:39:59 PM

finally got the cd. post says press any key to boot from cd, pressed any key, nothing. Went to cofiguration file missing or corrupt. restarted several times. Will not boot from cd
m
l
August 3, 2010 12:52:54 AM

any ideas how to repair that config file. Still won't boot from cd. gives me dots when I press a key but nothing happens.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 2:41:56 PM

Try this:
Disconnect all drives except CD/DVD
Enter your BIOS, go to the "Advanced BIOS Features" page...
Set "First Boot Device" to "CDROM"...
Set "Second Boot Device" to "Disabled"...
Set "Third Boot Device" to "Disabled"...
Go to the "Integrated Peripherals" page...
Check that "USB Legacy Function" is "Enabled" - should be, by default, but check...
...now, try to boot to MemTest86+...

m
l
August 3, 2010 6:12:54 PM

i read there's another name for usb leagacy function. Is it usb storage because that is enabled. Disconnected all drives except cdrom and i get this error. Disk boot failure: insert system disk.
any other ideas?
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:10:21 PM

I learned how to make a bootable disk from an iso image today. The simplest thing, but one I didn't know. Got a memtest version up and running. Is there anything I'm looking for in specific or you need to know? Lots of figures on the screen.
Now, if I can only get my windows cd to boot on my other computer (Once the memtest has passed a few times with the three modules.)
m
l
August 3, 2010 9:55:13 PM

6143m of memory testing, second pass. what next.
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:51:54 PM

never mind, there's errors. Some addresses are failing. Is there any way to know what module is failing or do I have to test all individually.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 11:42:58 PM

Best way is to test individually; be sure to do the LoadOpt after exchanging the DIMM, and before running MemTest - that makes sure the SPD info on the DIMM gets tested as well - have seen two instances now where DIMMs with the same part number had differeing SPD data - one of them, of course, incorrect...
m
l
August 4, 2010 11:09:30 AM

found the bad one. Will load remaining and test simultaneously. what next.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 1:34:53 PM

Do you already have the replacement DIMM? We can do the next procedure with just two, bu it's better performed with the full load you intend to hang on the memory controller...
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:48:42 PM

no, no replacement yet. Will take time as I have to rma back for exchange. When memory is sold in pairs and only one is bad, do I have to rma both or just the defective one? Do you know?
I'm assuming I rma both as you said we can do the next procedure with two, but......
m
l
August 11, 2010 1:03:10 AM

Memory to be received Friday.
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:32:12 PM

bilbat said:
Do you already have the replacement DIMM? We can do the next procedure with just two, bu it's better performed with the full load you intend to hang on the memory controller...

Have received additional memory. Tested individually for errors (none) and now testing the 3. What next.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 10:12:59 PM

^^ has been offline for a few days.

I need the following (see your box or look for labels on the Mother Board or RAM sticks).
1. Exact MOBO & REV #?
2. Exact RAM Part Number
3. What slots are your RAM installed in (see manual for diagram)
4. How many sticks of RAM are you installing?
5. What OS and type are you installing? (e.g. XP SP2 32-bit, etc)
6. Where are you in the "install process?"

The reason I ask: RAM/DDR needs to be installed in certain slots for different MOBOs, I need to check P/N of RAM/DDR to insure you have the correct type, and 32-bit OS can only see 4GB of RAM, etc... So the more info the better. So far all I've seen seems blurry and nonspecific.

Okay, you ran Memtest86+ on the replacement RAM did they all pass?
m
l
August 16, 2010 10:22:31 PM

they need to be in slots 0,1,2 and 3 according to mobo guide. Mine is the one in the picture above. x58ud3 rev 1. I'm installing two additional modules and was just about to set the xmp to install the last module. O/S is win xp sp3. I must have 64 bit because it sees the 6gb i already have in. No errors on ram-passed.
m
l
August 16, 2010 10:53:15 PM

jaquith said:
^^ has been offline for a few days.

I need the following (see your box or look for labels on the Mother Board or RAM sticks).
1. Exact MOBO & REV #?
2. Exact RAM Part Number
3. What slots are your RAM installed in (see manual for diagram)
4. How many sticks of RAM are you installing?
5. What OS and type are you installing? (e.g. XP SP2 32-bit, etc)
6. Where are you in the "install process?"

The reason I ask: RAM/DDR needs to be installed in certain slots for different MOBOs, I need to check P/N of RAM/DDR to insure you have the correct type, and 32-bit OS can only see 4GB of RAM, etc... So the more info the better. So far all I've seen seems blurry and nonspecific.

Okay, you ran Memtest86+ on the replacement RAM did they all pass?

they need to be in slots 0,1,2 and 3 according to mobo guide. Mine is the one in the picture above. x58ud3 rev 1. I'm installing two additional modules and was just about to set the xmp to install the last module. O/S is win xp sp3. I must have 64 bit because it sees the 6gb i already have in. No errors on ram-passed.
m
l
August 16, 2010 11:51:58 PM

This is where I am:
I enable XMP, save and reboot again into MemTest, and run a few more passes. At his point, I have verified two things: that each DIMM is good, and that the XMP parameter set, stored on the DIMM, will work! Done! Memtest reported correct memory installed.

Now, when I 'stuff 'em all in, I know that if I have problems, chances are 99% that the troubles are in my setup of the RAM .

This is what I need:
For you to use four DIMMs as you intend, you will be putting two DIMMs per channel on two channels. As I mentioned, the setup info from the DIMM will usually not work. Once we confirm the DIMMs work OK, we will need to make a few adjustments to voltages and timings to accommodate this..
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 12:03:14 AM

Don't use the XMP unless your DDR is on the approved list {either your MOBO won't post or you'll get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

Your MOBO "selection" seemed more like "yeah that one" so I am confused that you are building a system so "randomly" ~ BTW your MOBO has (6) DDR3 slots ~ your # of slots doesn't add-up??! I noticed 2x2GB, on your MOBO they are "typically" installed in sets of (3) or (6) Tri-channel and Hexa-channel.

So if the count is correct ALL 6 slots are filled with the SAME DDR3 memory? Or 4 -- 2 X 2GB.
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:39:55 AM

jaquith said:
Don't use the XMP unless your DDR is on the approved list {either your MOBO won't post or you'll get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

Your MOBO "selection" seemed more like "yeah that one" so I am confused that you are building a system so "randomly" ~ BTW your MOBO has (6) DDR3 slots ~ your # of slots doesn't add-up??! I noticed 2x2GB, on your MOBO they are "typically" installed in sets of (3) or (6) Tri-channel and Hexa-channel.

So if the count is correct ALL 6 slots are filled with the SAME DDR3 memory? Or 4 -- 2 X 2GB.

I don't understand what your saying.
My motherboard has 6 slots and according to the handbook, when installing 4 memory modules, they should be in the first 4 slots. That is where they are.
And the picture above IS my motherboard, that's why the ya, that one. And it was my understanding that memory is installed in mulitples of 2 or 3. So: 2,4, 6, 8 etc or 3,6, 9 12 etc.

All memory modules are the exact same models.

" I am confused that you are building a system so "randomly". explain

Xmp was enable because my computer kept crashing when four modules were installed. See below:
after doing that and rebooting the system showed update success and he system went blue and began to dump memory. The system is NOT responding. I can't even access the start menu to shut down or restart. Using the task bar again. powered up and system booted twice and reported as recovering from an error. cant download. opened a browser, and was looking for the correct memtest86 to download, the system crashed. It restarted and remains at a black screen saying my config file is missing or corrupt. (Took me hours to fix that and don't want to go through that again). Already have blank screen at desktop and plugin containers to deal with, not to mention administrator files.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 1:46:23 AM

Statistically and without any additional info for @bilbat to publish your exact MOBO is nearly impossible.

DDR2 and DDR3 sticks go in different slots. Since the XMP approved DDR2/DDR3 is sooo small, again statistically your PC would most certainly fail to post and/or BSOD within seconds. A/K/A Fail to start.

Again, I asked the above six 1-6 questions because without that information no one can hope to correctly answer any of your questions.

m
l
August 17, 2010 1:52:27 AM

the information was given
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 2:00:18 AM

2. Exact RAM Part Number - cannot find it anywhere.

Therefore, I'll give you the best generic answer as a guess.

Place your "DDR" / RAM in slots DDR3_1, DDR3_2, DDR3_3, and DDR3_5 ; Next in the BIOS Load Optimized, Save & Exit BIOS. This should fix the problem. Assuming your "DDR" is indeed compatible which is impossible to determine.
m
l
August 17, 2010 2:00:46 AM

Best answer selected by ashley_62.
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:53:59 AM

ram part # is corsair xms3 product code cmx4gx3m2a1600c7. Speed is 800 mhz. This is dual channel memory but motherboard supports both. I'll try installing in slots for triple channel and load optimized defaults.
m
l
!