Adding Memory with different part number

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hello..,

I need your suggestion on this case, I’m currently using 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 PC12800 part # CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 in my Asus Maximus III Formula. In the very short time, I'm thinking to add another 4GB memory for my system, but since I live outside the US, I cannot find the exact same module/part number that I currently use in my system.

A local computer stores here don't have the module that I’m looking for, they said that the CMG module series has been discontinued and replace by CMT (CMT4GX3M2A1600C7) series which actually have the similar specs. Therefore, my real question is would that make my system running stable if I add different module part number (CMT and CMG) in one system? Is there any other problem that would occur?

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions, Thank you...

bilbat

Splendid
CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS are not, by far, the only things you need to know or worry about. The remainder of the myriad timings are just as important. In addition, when you run two DIMMs per channel, even the SPD parameters stored in the RAM will likely not work, and they are set up for one DIMM per channel... It can be done, sometimes, but requires a great deal of skill and patience!

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Thanks saint19... I guess I'll stay with 4GB cause mostly my PC is just for gaming, and thanks bilbat for giving me such valuable information.

Thank you guys.....