A good MOBO to fit all my current componets?

fastcarfastbike

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Ok, i have a DELL XPS435MT
core i7 920 (hyperthreading)
4gb ddr3 (samsung memory)
ati hd4850 gpu
corsair tx650 psu

i want to get a new graphics card, but my case is too small, since its a 'micro atx' i was told, if i want a new case i need to get a mobo that will fit it, since my current mobo will not fit in a case besides the factory dell case. SO, i have decided to just do a big upgrade, and buy a new case and MOBO...i will also be upping to 6or8gb of DDR3....

i would very much like to keep all my components except for the memory, which i will be upgrading...but i wanna keep my same hard drive, disk drive, psu, memory....everything really for now...i just wanna buy a new case and MOBO, that i can fit these other components in....price is not a concern, i just want something that will work for sure. if i can get a better cooling system in a bigger case, i will then keep this graphics card, and just up the memory....id also like to stick with DDr3...

is this possible? and is it ok to do it like i said? keeping my current HD thats loaded with windows vista 64x? if anyone could provide links to a MOBO that will surely fit these componets (with ddr3 too i think) that would be awesome....also, my computer tech friend will be doing this, as i have no idea what or how to do it....

fastcarfastbike

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
thanks....a ton...yeah i will begin searching for my discs now...if i cannot find my vista discs, can i buy windows 7 upgrade and retain all the stuff installed on my hard drive??

also- this will fit the core i7 that i have, as well as other components?

if you have time, could you also recommend a decent case for this MOBO? and also, maybe a cooling system? idk if my stock fans will be enough once i upgrade the graphics card...oh yeah, and an any of these 3 cards accept a better graphics carD?

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes... either of them will fit on your comonents just fine. As for an OS, I would look to buy the OEM verison of Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit and do an upgrade, since your old disk has Vista 64-bit. This will allow you to keep your old data in a folder on the hard drive. If you have specific programs, you might have to reinstall them to get them to run properly.

The Corsair CMPSU-650TX is more than enough power for your system, so that is a great choice.

As for your case, I have listed two great choices, which are both under $100. Both of these case has enough cooling ath additional fans are not required, if upgrading GPU's.

Antec 300 Illusion
Cooler Master HAF 922