Intermittent problem with booting

levymetal

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've got a really strange problem happening with my new computer. I've had it for a week now, and 3 times when I've tried to start it up, the following happens:
* It takes much longer than normal trying to detect the hard drives
* It doesn't detect one of the hard drives
* My USB components don't get power so I can't boot into the bios
* When Windows eventually starts, it says there's no network adapter installed

The first time I fixed this problem by mucking around with the SATA cables. The second time it happened I took all the RAM out and swapped them around. And just today, I took just one stick of RAM out of it's slot and put it back in, and that fixed it. When it's fixed there's absolutely no problems at all, I can get into BIOS fine, network adapter works, boots up quick, no errors with Windows or any of the games I play.

Considering that this is intermittent, I'm not sure what I should really do now to try and fix the problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I should do next. My system specs are as below:

CPU: i7 930
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard Rev2.0
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Overclocked
PSU: Corsair HX-650
Memory: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 3x2GB OCZ3P1600LV6GK
OS HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
Storage HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARS
Drives: Samsung SH-S223C DVDRW
Case: Thermaltake Element G

Thanks guys,

Christian

Check windows device manager for conflicts the next time you have problems with a device not loading. You may also need to get a separate network card; I found one for 88 cents at frys a few years ago. It's cheaper than changing motherboards.

TRENDING THREADS