Sign in with
Your question
Solved

E2180 temprature - is this normal?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 13, 2010 3:52:44 AM

I am running E2180 at stock speed with stock HT never over clocked on Asus P5N-MX mobo. CPU temprature is around 65C at startup and reaches at 75 to 80c at 30% cpu usage. Is this normal? Do I need to reapply thermal paste or use better Heatsink. since I am using it as a file server there is no intention for overclocking or gaming etc.

Thanks
a c 131 à CPUs
March 13, 2010 5:01:02 AM

Too hot. I believe this may hit the point where the CPU would be throttling itself. Maximum operating temperature for that CPU is 73.3C. I would recommend cleaning out the dust from inside your system including buildup on the heatsink. If the temperatures do not decrease, then reseat the same heatsink reapplying new thermal compound.

What are the environmental conditions? Room temperature etc?
What is your case and fan setup?
What program are you using to measure this?
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2010 6:37:35 AM

It is way too hot for a CPU dude. Re-seat the Heatsink. A heatsink that isn't seated properly causes high temps sometimes.

If that doesn't works then Clean the CPU. Apply some good thermal paste.
And Put the HSF.
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 13, 2010 6:57:10 AM

Same as above, remove the heatsink and fan unit and clean any excess thermal paste off. You can use rubbing alcohol or something similar for this. Don't use anything oil-based though. Apply a very thin layer of thermal paste to the base of the heatsink as too much will also cause high temps. When you fit the heatsink make sure you have a good solid contact with the CPU and that ALL of the clips lock into place. It's best to work on opposite corners - to one corner and then the opposite corner as opposed to going around them in turn. You can google for more info on how to apply thermal paste if you want to.

Also make sure that your case has good airflow through it. Ensure there is no dust as dust is a very good thermal insulator. A can of compressed air is very handy for this job. Also try to tidy up your cable runs so they don't get in the way of airflow (and it just looks nice). The general idea is to have an intake fan at the bottom and an exhaust fan at the top. This is all down to the way air rises when it is heated. With this setup, cold air from the bottom is sucked into the case and then as this air is heated up and rises it is exhausted through th fan at the top. This general technique will often give you good results but obviously bigger or better performing fans or just more fans in general will help keep your system cool. Just out of interest, what case are you using? Good luck! :) 
March 13, 2010 10:15:35 PM

Thanks guys. The problem is resolved. Yes it was the termal paste issue. I used the stock termal came with cpu, but that was gone in a year, that strange. Why so fast. So I removed the heatsink and applied OCZ silver 5+ paste and the temprature down to 30C from 65c idle and 45-50C on usage from 83C wow!. Thanks for the suggestions.
March 13, 2010 10:17:20 PM

Best answer selected by JD007.
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2010 1:18:38 AM

Your CPU's new temps seems normal :) 

a c 131 à CPUs
March 14, 2010 3:36:47 AM

moody89 said:
You can use rubbing alcohol or something similar for this. Don't use anything oil-based though. Apply a very thin layer of thermal paste to the base of the heatsink as too much will also cause high temps.

Ensure you are using isopropyl rubbing alcohol. 99% is best. You don't want impurities. Maybe I'm just nit picking though...
!