Sign in with
Your question

HOW DOES SSD COMPATIBILITY WORK

Last response: in Storage
December 26, 2011 12:05:02 AM

Sorry but I AM LITERALLY BRAND NEW TO SSD AND THIS FORUM, so forgive me for any mistake or dumb questions. But I am debating on purchasing "ASUS U31SD-AH51" (Search it on Amazon). But I am thinking about buying SSD which could be compatible with this laptop. The problem is which is compatible and which is not, and How do i exactly figure this out. Please help me.

Also if you guys could provide any opinion if this laptop would be a better buy "Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4830TG-6450" (Its on Amazon) rather than the Asus. I am leaning on the Asus because of their great quality, waranty and fairly affordable.

EDIT: If it helps I need 100+ GB of SSD storage and I have heard about Hybrid Storage, whats your opinion on that and is it worth it?
Thanks

More about : ssd compatibility work

December 26, 2011 1:35:46 AM

Compatibility should not be an issue. The only issue I can think of is if the hard drive will fit in the laptop and if it will have the same connections (interface) that your laptop has.

You can either use an external drive, internal drive, or bay-loaded drive. External drives will be severely limited in speed due to USB interface being so slow. Internal drives have to match both size, connections, and connections positions. Bay-loaded drives take up your CD bay slot if your laptop has a SATA interface. See your manufacturer (ASUS) to see if they offer one for your model.

You can do the research for yourself. I suggest looking on the ASUS website to see what kind of space you have in the laptop, or if they offer a bay adapter for SSDs. I have no idea if you want to replace the included hard drive or add another.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 26, 2011 1:58:12 AM

Well, open up the HDD bay and find out the thickness of the HDD before you buy. I am pretty sure the ASUS laptop use 2.5 inch SATA drive, but don't know if it is 12.5, 9.5 or 7mm (I can confidently rule out 12.5mm).
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:53:14 AM

Alright thanks, seems to be working and fitting great.
m
l
!