upgrading from windows 2000 professional to windows xp hom..

Is there any possible way to migrate frome windows 2000
progessional on a hand-me-down computer to xp home
edition??
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows 2000 professional windows

    First go here,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx , and run the
    XP system compatibility scan. However, I don't believe you can upgrade Win2K
    to XP. You will have to purchase the full retail version of XP.

    --
    Curt.

    chase wrote:
    > Is there any possible way to migrate frome windows 2000
    > progessional on a hand-me-down computer to xp home
    > edition??

    Only by performing a clean installation of WinXP Home. Win2K Pro
    can be upgraded to WinXP Pro, but not the WinXp Home.

    With second-hand computers, particularly if acquired from someone
    whom you do not trust explicitly with your most personal information
    (bank account numbers, SSAN, etc), your wisest course of action would
    probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh. You don't want
    to get in trouble because the original owner may have filled the hard
    drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the original owner
    downloaded/installed viruses or other malware. Some unscrupulous
    people could even sell a used computer preconfigured with the
    necessary key-loggers and spyware to collect your personal information
    for future use.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: