Is Core I3 better than Core 2 Quad (or Core 2 Quad extreme)

firegum94

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering which processor to buy_
Would the new Intel Core I3 beat Core 2 Quad technology? (And by how far if you bother to explain)
Oh yes, and would I3 Beat best Core 2 Duo CPU too?
Thank you waiting for replies! :)

Solution
A Core2 Quad would beat an i3, mainly because the quad is a quad-core processor whereas the i3 is only dual core. The architecture itself is probably better for the i3 but not enough to beat a quad processor. The i3's are however marginally better than a Core2 Duo.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
A Core2 Quad would beat an i3, mainly because the quad is a quad-core processor whereas the i3 is only dual core. The architecture itself is probably better for the i3 but not enough to beat a quad processor. The i3's are however marginally better than a Core2 Duo.

Solution

loneninja

Distinguished
To simplify it, I3 is more powerful than C2D/C2Q on a per thread basis. However the difference isn't enough to justify an upgrade in my opinion if you already own a C2D. If you factor in multithreaded software, the C2Q will still win because the I3 is only a dual core with hyperthreading, although the hyperthreading allows it to pull ahead of the C2D in multhreaded benchmarks, it still isn't able to mach the C2Q's 4 cores.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Two i3 glued together will beat C2Q! :kaola:

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
In almost every bench, the C2Q wins. The few the i3 take are not overwhelming victories.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=118&p2=50&c=1

The question I have for you though, is this an upgrade or a complete new build? If you're upgrading and can get away with just the CPU, the C2Q would be the most cost effective route.

If this is a new build, are you the type to want to upgrade along the way or just build it and ride it into the ground? The C2Qs are the top of the 775 platform and there's no upgrading that. But if you want a one and done that will last a good 3-4 years, its still a viable option. If you're an upgrader, then look at the i3 or i5s. Use the link in my sig on how to ask for advise, and provide the info requested so we can help spec out the best system for you we can.

cschuele

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
A lot of people of leaving out that the i3 is 32nm vs. 45nm for the core2 duos & quads. This basically means it uses ~25% less power and overclocks great. It kills the core2 duo in things like energy efficiency, operating temperatures. As far as the core2 quad, it would kill the i3 in anything that can take advantage of its 100%more cores, such as DVD encoding, video editing, and other select highly threaded apps. However most programs, like iTunes, WinZip, most virus scans, and even most games won’t take full advantage yet.

Why would you be interested in a core2 quad when u can pick up a AMD 4core for the same price or even an i5 750 for $200?

firegum94

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Didn't mean to reply to myself, but thank you all for answers i will get an I5 instead lol.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

An i5 would top both the C2Q and C2D, and also will be alot better choice than the i3
Just make sure you get the Core i5-750, because Core i5-6xx series are also dual cores with hyper-threading ( i5-750 is a true Quad-core )

G

i suggest you go for an i3 instead of a core 2 duo or core 2 quad, but if you can spend a little bit more, go for the i5 for the better. yes core i3 beats the fastest core 2 duo, because of the hyper threading, i3 is a dual core but performs like a slower quad core because of its multi treaded core.

i3 = 2 physical cores / 4 threads (Operating system reads 4 cores)
Qxxxx series = 4 physical cores / 4 threads (Operating system reads 4 cores)
Physical cores are actual ‘real’ cores. Threads are how many ways the data is transfered. Generally the number of cores match the number of threads but Intel’s new i3 have different amount of threads per cores which is called Hyperthreading. the faster core 2 quads beats the i3, but i3s are just close behind, thats the only advantage of the core 2 quads, they are a little bit faster, but there are alot of things that makes i3 better tan core2Q, like it runs cooler with 32nm, compared to core2quad's 45nm, less power means less heat and longer system life, another is i3s supports up to 16gb ram, core2s can only supports up to 8gb ram max. the i3 also has a built in graphics card, no need to buy a costly graphics card, so you save money. i3 also has a new architecture that will be the standard or all, sooner or later ill be a requirement for every processor.. the last is core 2 is old, and its retiring, core i-series are the new face of processors today and for years to come.